GDS and Guytron

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by GDS Racing, Jul 19, 2008.

1. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

On July 1st, I purchased the assets of Guytron Guitar Amplifiers in Troy, Michigan. I have spent the last couple weeks moving, organizing, counting chassis, transformers and other parts and ordering parts to fill gaps in the inventory.

I am hustling to setup production at my facility. I hope to have the GT100 FV and the GT20 Combo in production very soon. We also have prototypes of the GT20 head and the new GT40 head and combo almost ready to go.

As some of you know, the Guytron preamp designs are very much influenced by the Marshall 18watt amplifier and the power amp is influenced by the big 100W Marshalls. Guy Hedrick is a huge fan of Marshall and Vox amplifiers and it shows in the tones that his amp designs produce. With modern channel switching however, the amp is capable of tones ranging from crystal clean to heavy overdrive.

We now also have a fresh shipment of Guytron Bigtone speakers in stock. These are very similar to the original Celestion Greenback and G12H30.

Email me if you have any questions. I'm here to help.

Thanks,

2. teddys

teddys Member

Graydon,

good luck with your new venture.

I am still lovin my 18 watt NY ToneFest special (as does everyone who hears it).

Congrats:drink

3. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Graydon, that's great. Good luck with it!! Maybe I'll finally get a Guytron.

4. dunara

dunara Member

Good luck, Graydon!

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Graydon, fantastic man. It's good that you are in control now. You are the right man for the job. Congrats and we'll have to chat sometime about things.

6. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

great news and good luck, so glad to hear someone will be picking up the torch, killer amps!!

7. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

Thanks guys.

I am very excited about this and looking forward to expanding my product line beyond the 18W thing. I am also thrilled that the Guytrons are actually very closely related to the 18W so much of the circuitry in them is already familiar to me.

Guytron has a couple new products coming out very soon which will really fill a need in the marketplace and I have some ideas for new products that will fit extremely well with the Guytron image and theme as well as the technology that Guytron has in place already. This is going to be very exciting.

I really appreciate your support. Thanks Guys.

8. rh

rh Robo Sapien Noise Maker Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, that is one extremely fine amp. +1 on the best wishes for the new venture, too.

9. beej

beej Supporting Member

Graydon is absolutely a class act- he sorted out an outstanding issue for me with the previous owner and couldn't have been nicer.

Congrats Graydon! Good luck to Guytron.

Jason in Toronto.

10. newking70

newking70 Member

Are you gonna have a Guytron amp building seminar?:AOK

11. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Good news. I'm a Guytron supporter and fan. I've owned the FV and the GT20. The GT40 was a really exciting proposition. I look forward to seeing it come to market. I always thought the biggest problem with Guytron was marketing. The amps are incredible but players just didn't seem to care.
    Good luck man!

12. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

That's great news. The Guytron name is well respected by amp lovers. I hope you decide to bring the new models out to LA AMP SHOW in Oct. Love to see you there! :AOK

13. JZG

JZG Member

Another big thumbs up Graydon! I'll get in touch with you about a Bigtone speaker and talk amps.

:AOK:JAM:RoCkIn:dude:):drink:BEER

14. Jack71

Jack71 Active Member

I've never owned a Guytron amp but I'm glad to see someone is going to keep the line going. The tone I've heard from the clips is just jaw dropping and I will own one some day. Any hints on what kind of tubes the power section of the 40 will run on? :D

15. GDS Racing

GDS Racing Member

That is a top secret, classified bit of info! :) No clues just yet!!!

Those Clips on our site were done by Chris Dellis who is a great player.

16. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Hard question....

Are those ribbon connectors still going to be part of the topography of Guytron amplifiers?

Thanks,
    Emee

17. motrock

motrock Member

It would be really cool to hear some new soundclips of what this thing can do with the gain cranked up... more hard rock type of tones! You know, the Van Halen/ Michael Schenker/ AC/DC tones?

18. Variable

Variable Member

Glad to see Guytron is still alive. My '97 pre FV GT100 has kept me exceedingly happy for the past five years now :) Every time I think I might sell it I plug back in, and all thoughts of it leaving go away!

I agree that more hard-rock oriented clips might bring in a new demographic. I personally play everything from jazz/blues to hard rock/metal, and the GT100 can do it all (especially with a BB Preamp goosing the B channel).

I read on another thread here that the A channel was changed from Guy's original design on the GT20 to sound more Fendery? If that Is that true, what was the reason? I think most folks agree the GT100 A channel is absolute gold as it is :D

-Russ

19. beej

beej Supporting Member

Agree completely- some additional clips would do a world of good. I've got an early (first 30) GT100 (recently re-wired by Guy) and a later FV and they both kill.

A few things were changed on the '20 from Guy's original design. Mick, the previous owner, wanted it voiced more Fendery and with fewer positions on the attenuator. I recon it would have taken off quite a bit more if it were voiced differently, though that's just personal opinion.

20. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have owned both amps, the clean channel on the GT-20 was a huge let down, I wouldn't think Fendery at all, if any thing not chimy enough. In many ways the GT-20 was almost the perfect small amp, it only needed better tone controls and a chimier clean tone with a darker lead tone.

I think they shoul dtweak the slope and focus controls on that amp. I really dug the attenuator even though I never used it, I thought it sounded really good.