GE 6201 for Reverb Driver in Fender BF amps?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ajbergren, May 9, 2008.

1. ajbergren

ajbergren Member

I have recently obtained a whole bunch of tubes, and I now have a good collection of GE 6201 (always have the "GE etch" 6201 below the labels of various manufacturers).

Anyway, I test them on my AVO Mark IV to make sure they don't have shorts and are reading close to spec, etc. After this, I would like to experiment by trying various 12AT7 types in the reverb driver of my '65 Princeton Reverb. Currently, I have a blackplate 12AT7 tube (Sylvania label, not sure what type in reality) in this position, and it sounds great. However, in the past I have experimented with various other tubes, and most of the time the reverb quickly lost depth. I have read that this could be caused by the tubes not responding well to the heat generated by the high current drawn by the reverb driver tube. I have also read on various tube dealer's web-sites and elsewhere that JAN GE 12AT7s do not last well in the reverb driver socket.

What do you all think?

I don't really want to "destroy" my GE 6201 tubes by experimenting with the reverb driver socket, since they could be useful elsewhere (phase inverter in other amps, etc.). I also have several RFT, Siemens, and other makes of 12AT7 types that might be better to try.

Thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Experience is everything. I've seen several amps with reverb problems that had one of these in the reverb driver socket and heard of 10s of other similar experiences from other techs and users.

You can either learn from the experience of others or learn from your own experience.

3. ajbergren

ajbergren Member

Mike,
    This is exactly why I asked the question! I'd rather not put the GE 6201 tubes in the reverb driver, when there really is no reason to go against experience.

Thanks!

4. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

+1 for what Mike said. The Fender reverb driver slot can be quick death for all but the most robust 12AT7. I think Mike actually disagrees with me on my choice (hi Mike!), but years ago I settled on using only JAN/Philips 12AT7WC for this duty. Only tube I've found that just always survives.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

The only disagreement is that the "JAN Philips are the ONLY ones that ALWAYS survive". Add RCAs and Mullard CV4024s to the list...and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ALWAYS survives in any socket of any amp;)

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I bought 40 GE 6201's a couple of years ago from an online vendor.While all tested good for gas,shorts and life on my Eico 667,23 of the 40 produced noise when used in the reverb send of a Deluxe Reverb. The others were fine. Trying them in the reverb send will not "ruin" the tube,but show any imperfections it may have. The ones that are noisey can be used in the phase inverter.