• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

GE 6V6GTA - Are these a brighter/mid-heavy tube?

dukeh62

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys...I've done some searching but can't really find much info. For anyone that's rolled NOS GE 6V6GTAs against other NOS 6V6s: Do these tend to run a little brighter and mid-heavy compare to say an RCA or Marconi?

Thanks in advance!

ski_fast

Gold Supporting Member
Are you trying to find a tube for your amp and style of music? If so, some descriptions would help.

I went over my 6V6 notes and here is what I found:

GE 6V6GTA-Lack of mids, high output

GE 6V6 blackplate- Less top end, more mids. Plain "nice" tone, less air, plenty of compression, slightly less bite. Less bass makes for great breakup, tight low end.

GE 6V6 brown base red print-Little less highs, tight lows (great breakup). Nice air, great tone, saturates early. Nice compression.

If you do a search you might find my old 6V6 review thread.

Trout

Hey guys...I've done some searching but can't really find much info. For anyone that's rolled NOS GE 6V6GTAs against other NOS 6V6s: Do these tend to run a little brighter and mid-heavy compare to say an RCA or Marconi?

Thanks in advance!

Few years back I had a bunch of GE 6V6GTA clear bottles, black bases with grey plates, I felt they were as bright as it gets compared to the RCA's I had.

Still one of my favorite NOS tubes. It depends a lot on the amp used though.

gtone

The GE 6V6's I've tried were a little bright, shrill and ratty, though some of them have sounded a little better than others (milspec models). The RCA's have almost all been good, even the cheaper GTA's (dark plate versions of latter very nice bargains) - generally full and balanced, the earlier smoked glass are da' bomb. I haven't had much luck with Marconi 6V6's - not well balanced (boomy, exagerated low end) in spite of lots of output, sound crappy clean.

I'd take RCA's, KenRads or Sylvanias before GE's, maybe a few others (Mazdas, etc)before the Marconis. My .02 only...

dukeh62

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I had purchased an amp with GE 6V6GTAs in it and thought it sounded a little sterile and bright. I finally had the chance to swap them out this weekend and the amp immediately warmed up. Marconis sounded great in it!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom