GE-7 Available Mod Kits - Which is Best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Jan 10, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

There are at least two available DIY mod kits for the GE-7: the Sniper kit and the kit from Monte Allums. It's hard to compare them as they offer different components (Sniper has 3 opamps, MA has 4, for instance).

I am sure both are good. Which is best?

2. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

If you have a MIJ EQ it takes 4 chips. Where as the MIT takes 3. That's why I specify MIJ, or MIT on my website. If you order the MIJ you get specific instructions, and parts for that pedal. And vice versa.

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Kevin,
    Thanks! Makes sense. I don't know which country of origin the GE-7 is from as I just purchased it from a fellow forumite and it's enroute. I am told it's a month old. Does that identify the country?

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I can only speak for my own experience, I bought the Brian Wampler mods for GE-7 and they were fantastic. The single biggest thing is changing the chips, but his modes also include a couple of capacitors for noise, plus optional caps for "tighter mids" and for "more bass, tighter".

I did the chips and caps for noise (the single biggest problem with it). The chips do slightly change the sound of the pedal. But you can adjust it back again with the sliders. I also did the mids mod. I love it.

Made a huge difference in usability.

One thing though, I surely could be wrong about this...maybe SOME hobbyist that really loves these pedals bought different mod-kits to try, or a couple of friends each did a mod from different places, but generally it is going to be hard to find someone with experience with more than one mod-kit. So I have no way of comparing Wamplers mods with Sniper mods.

Personally, the noise was the only issue for me with the stick GE-7. Otherwise it was fantastic. So I would want the mod that most keeps the original sound. I liked mine so much I bought another GE-7 also. Which is great because I put them in line and compared then stock vs. the mods.

Wheen you change the chips, it does slightly change the sound of the pedal itself. Even stock, I definitely hear a diff when the pedal is on and all is set flat (theoretically...should be my clean signal, same as with pedal off) no boosts or cuts. Thing is, stock it sounds better to me without the mods.....but if you cut or boost ANY freq or the whole thing, the noise starts and is bad enough to make it non-useable for me. So once you change out the chips, it sounds different in a different way when on and no boosts or cuts. I think the extra mids cap mod helped with the new chip sounds. Meaning, I would not have done that mod if the chips gave it the same sound, minus the noise, I would have then kept it all as is.

Hiope this helps, or at least is understandable :)

5. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Well the sniper mod sounds like the stock unit, but without the noise. Sounds like you should try the Sniper. It is trully amazing. Oh kevin I will be getting ahold of you soon to order a couple more GE-7 Snipers for the road, looks like we will be over sea's all summer, so we will need backups.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

6. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

It's made in Taiwan.

Shane...I look forward to working for you again. Still loving that CD! :JAM

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I just wondered...how do you know that? Comparing sounds can't happen when they are close, and any length of time has gone between hearing one, then the other....that's why we A/B, does this mean you've A/B'ed them?

I have a feeling the same chips are traded out (is it a TL chip...like 107 or something like that?) and if that is the case, the mods are the same.
    Which means there is a difference in the unmodded and modded sound other than just the loss of noise.

You change the chips you change the characteristics of the sound.

8. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Great info guys.
    Thanks and keep it coming!

9. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

Brian Wampler specs TLO72 ICs while the Sniper mod calls out RC4559p ICs

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Good to know. In that case (unless Shane mentions he HAS A/B'ed the sniper modded with an unmodded), I at least could try the sniper on my second GE-7 and compare.

It will be some months before I get the kit, get the time to install, and do a real comparison, but it might be cool to try it out. If I only had a third GE-7 :) I could check both against an unmodded too.

Til then, I am not knocking Brians' mod, they work and it is quiet, but there is in my unit a definite changing of the sound quality. It gets a little less "sparkly" when on but set flat. I noticed this (I did the mods one at a time) both with and without the "tighter mids" mod included.

So I really ought to try the Sniper mods and see.

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

It would be really interesting if Brian's mod using the TL072 is less "sparkly" than the Sniper mod with the 4559, as I always prefer the TL072 over the 4559 in OD's and Distortion boxes becuase it seems cleaner and more HiFi. The 4559 always seems warmer and more colored in tone.

Maybe the GE-7 circuit does not use these opamps in the same way as other circuits and the therefore the resulting tone is opposite from what I'd expect.

I'd agree with StompBox in that you'd really need two boxes to really a/b 'em, otherwise you're working against memory.

It's not like there is a big price difference between these kits - no worries there - I just wanted to install the one that is more likely to provide the best results.

12. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I went for the Sniper mod.

Thanks much for all the info!

13. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yes I have A/b'de them side by side. I actually thought that after the Sniper Mod the pedal open'd up more and sounded fuller and had more sparkle. Compairing them side by side they almost sound alike but the stock unit sounds like a blanket is over the sound, and after the mod it sound like the blanket has been lifted off, and the pedal is more open and fuller, and is dead quiet. There is no compairison between the two. I'm going to buy a couple more before leaving for Europe, believe it or not the GE-7 is the only pedal on my board that get used on every song.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.myspace.com/wetanimal

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Shane, where in your signal chain do you use the GE-7?

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Cool, and good to know. It helps when giving an opinion about things like this to mention it. I bet most folks take it with a grain of salt when someone just states something like that, but if prefaced by "well...I A/B'ed a modded and stock unit and..." suddenly my ears perk up (or eyes..)

The thing is...as far as I can tell you are directly contradicting yourself here. Upthread you stated "Well the sniper mod sounds like the stock unit, but without the noise." indicating it makes no change to the sound. Now here you are telling us it "opened up the pedal...more sparkle" etc.

It can't be both. So which is it?

Either is doesn't change the tone of the pedal or it makes it better and more sparkly, etc...

16. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Well your right I did contradict muself a little. When I say it's like a blanket has been lifted off, that is the best way to describe how different they sound.. I mean I still get all the same tones with the Sniper mod and have no unwanted noise. And the setting are still in the same places so I don't think the pedal changed sound wise all that much or I would have had to change some of the EQ faders..More open, more sparkle, and Fuller are all because the blanket has been lifted, but there was no EQ changing going on with the sniper mod, therefor thats why I love it.. Believe me it was important to me for the pedal not to change sound wise during this process because the Boss EQ is the basses to my sound.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetaniml.net
    http://www.myspace,com/wetanimal

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Shane...tone is frequencies. That "sparkle" is frequencies. It sound top me like you mean the Sniper EQ mod made the pedal better as well as cut the noise. But then you cannot say that there was "no EQ changing going on" becuase that is exactly what it has to be. That is, they are NOT the same tones. You may like them way better, and the same setting still sound good, but "a blanket coming off" is definitely an EQ change. There is no way around that. Blanket on or off...is always about tone, which is equivalent to which frequencies and in what proportions...which is about changing the "EQ".

It's okay, but what you describe IS the mod changing the frequencies as well as reducing noise. The Wampler mod did this, and my subjective ears (A/B'ing) tell me that it dulled some frequencies a little. Not hugely, but slightly. There is a little less "jangle" after the mod is what my ears tell me. It still sounds great (because the noise it reduced) and I can adust...in fact, we both could do a little experiment. I have also one modded and one unmodded GE-7, you do too. I wonder how long it would take me to adjust my modded one to sound as close as possible to the unmodded. Then I would know which frequencies were changed. Or the other way round (spend some time making the unmodded sound like the modded one) as a double check.

I'm glad you recommend it, even though I am having a hard time parsing through the contradictions, I believe it sounds worthwhile to try it out myself, and see how it is in relation to stock.

18. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

Your kit is on the way. Let me know if you have any questions during the installation.

19. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Kevin!

20. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Well, I got the chance to put the GE-7 through it's paces tonight and here's what I found:
    - I don't know how I got along without some kind of EQ for the last 30 years. Back in the day, I had an MXR graphic equalizer, but I have no idea what happened to it! At lower volumes, the GE-7 allows you to boost the lows and hight just a bit, de-emphasizing the mids, and MAN! that sounds great! I even eq'e