GE-7 Sniper Mod...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Jan 22, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Just reporting back in after doing the mod myself. It's a wonderfully effective mod that really lowers the noise floor, making the GE-7 really usable IMO. The amount of noise in the stock version is just not acceptable.

Two things to keep in mind for anyone doing this mod themselves:

- There is an error in identifying two of the capacitors: the drawing is correct, the instructions are not (I think... I did it late at night!). Easy to catch though.

- If you paint your box like I did, be aware that the circuit will not work until it's reassembled and the input/output jacks are connected to the box which acts as a common ground. I tested my circuit while the paint job was drying and the circuit did not work and I figured that I hosed it up. Not so. Whew....

I painted mine a drab khaki and it looks as cool as it sounds! Kinda looks like a piece of military equipment.

If you are on the fence about doing this mod (or having Kevin do it) I'd recommend doing it. It makes a huge difference and it's certainly worth the money and your time.

2. photoguy

photoguy Member

Thanks for the write-up. I've been considering doing the mod myself. Any other suggestions beyond what you've already stated? Can a simpleton like me who doesn't know the first thing about electronics, but can handle a soldering gun figure this out?
    Thanks-

Gary

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Definately.

For $25 you'll have a "lowly" GE-7 that can give far more expensive EQ's a run for their money. Plus, Kevin at Tone-Jam.com provides excellent, fast support. I'd suggest the original "Sniper" mod from Kevin over the other available sources.

I'll think about any other pointers I'd offer and I'll post 'em later.

4. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Sounds nice! Dont have a noise problem(for me anyways )with mine. I use too much gain .

5. photoguy

photoguy Member

I think I'll be ordering the kit and trying it myself. I play through a Gibson GA 5, Les paul Jr and find that I really use the eq to shape the tone of this amp, but my GE 7 has a fair amount of hum when any boost is applied. I was reluctant to try the mod myself as I mentioned, these kinds of *electronics* are unfamiliar terrritory for me, but after reading your post, I think I'm game. If you think of anything else, I'd appreciate reading about it.
    Thanks again-

6. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

I love my sniper mod!!!! I didnt realize the extra noise until the mod... super clean with a much fuller sound, especially with gain. Kevin is awesome to deal with... very cool.
    Peace.
    GG

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hey Gary,
    Some ideas you may want to think about...
    Consider honing your de-soldering skills on a scrap pc board. Definately buy your own solder wick - you may need more than supplied - it's good to own and have some around. Be sure to use a very thin guage flux-core solder, otherwise you'll dump too much solder on the opamp pins. The guage that comes with the kit is optimum. Only use a pencil style soldering iron with a small tip. I use a Weller soldering station with adjustable wattage - very nice.

Also consider painting that box. Mine looks too cool - way better than that crappy Boss look.

8. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

Hey Billy,

Thanks for the great review. I've corrected the mislabeled capacitor. (it's a dyslexia thing c-32 vs c-23)

I actually use about half of the solder wick provided, but I guess i should supply just a bit more for beginners.

Peace!
    Beers!
    Kevin

9. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

yeah well...you guys convinced me, i just ordered the kit 'bout 5min ago, cant wait to get it :)

10. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads-up Shane. Between your recommendation for this mod and selling me an RC Booster (I've yet to turn it off!), I definately owe ya.

Kevin - no problem on the glowing review - it's a great freak'in mod! BTW, sorry 'bout your Panthers.

12. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

Yeah, they didn't show up to play, and the Seahawks did.

13. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

I just did the Monte Allums kit to my GE-7 over the weekend. I totally love this pedal now! They're noisy and dull before the mod but hi-fi and quiet after the mod. I'm tempted to get another one and put the sniper on it to compare them and I trust the GE-7 as a very versitile boost now.

My guess is that someone with little soldering skill would find it very difficult to remove the parts and install one of these kits no matter how much time you take. I don't like solder wick - it just doesn't work for me. I use a solder sucker. IMO the wick requires that you have to apply too much heat to the board. Also, that tip about applying solder is a good one. Your solder joints should look just like all of the others on the board when you're done. You need to make sure it flows well without using too much or heating the part too much. It really takes a good touch.

14. edwinhong

edwinhong Member

I'll get mind THIS WEEK!
    Kevin said he just pack mind & will ship to me this week
    I CAN'T WAIT :D

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

This is a new one for me. I don't have the "Sniper" mod, but modded fro Brian Wamplers mods. I don't know at all if this is a result of it, or if this is some other grounding or other problem but...

The mod did a GREAT job quieting down the pedal. The only thing (and I have to check this out in another amp too, to see if it is only in the one configuration) I had the modded GE-7 in my Hot Rod DeVilles' effects loop, which ran DeVille effects send->modded GE-7->Ibanez DE-7 delay->EBS Dynaverb->DeVille effects return.

The other night during a pause in playing we all noticed my amp had a low hum...almost motorboating, but low (I'm in Europe so our 60hz hum is a little lower...50 hz. It MIGHT have been 50 hz I was hearing...very bassy) adn constant. This was with all loop pedals off.

I took each pedal out of the loop one by one, and narrowed the source of the hum to the GE-7. This was with the pedal off.

Anyone else run into this? I am going to try it out on another amps effects loop, see if it happens there too, and if it does, try it in front of the amp at the input instead.

Just wondering if anyone has run across this before.

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Stompbox:
    I don't have an fx loop on any of my amps. The GE-7 Sniper seems very quiet to me.

18. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Yep I've been running my GE-7 in the FX loop of my Tim and it's pretty awesome..

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

19. Seegs

Seegs Member

after comparing the different GE-7 mod. kits the TG kit seems to be the one to get...

has anyone had an Ibanez eq. pedal modded and compared it to the Boss...any differences or benefits one way or another??

Chow,
    Seegs

20. drolling

drolling Member

ok, ok... I've had a taiwanese GE-7 kicking around in a drawer for years, so I just ordered the kit from Tone-Jam. How're the instructions & how complex is the instal?

It's amazing what these threads get me into...