GE-7 Users....which mod is best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Rocket, Sep 26, 2008.

1. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Hi there,
    I'm thinking about getting a GE-7 pedal and I'm reading that there are some mods to improve it...
    so far I heard about MONTE ALLUMS, HUMPHREY, SNIPER...

anyone has compared these mods?
    which one do you suggest?
    I will use it for my acoustic guitar.

thanks for your help.

2. jockman

jockman Member

I have the Monty mod, sounds great to me, makes the stock pedal quieter and more 'clean/hifi sounding.

3. Bunny101412

Bunny101412 Member

Tone Jam has decided to 'retire' from the pedal mod business so the Sniper modded GE-7 isnt available anymore

4. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

Thank you very much for the info guys!
    Anyone else?

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I did the Wampler mod. It worked great.

I personally wouldn't even call the mod "to improve it" but instead "to make it usable".

There is "self-noise" being generated in their by their choice of op-amp, and a few capacitors also. I wrote extensively about my experience with the pedal in HC User Reviews, and also here. It is not a case of "when you boost certain frequencies you also boost noise" it was all across the board, boost or cut. Also it happened with boost or cut of just main gain/vol.

I even took the one back at first, and the salesman heard it too and was amazed at the noise level, so we tried all of the GE-7's they had in stock, and they all did it ( if I remember right there were 3 or 4).

Anyway, generally, the op-amp change does the most good. With that alone it quieted down to useable and nice levels. I am sure the other mods (others that offer this mod) are as good, but I just picked Wampler, and it is a nice mod set...op-amp, caps, along with a guide sheet so you can decide which mods to do, as some will shift slightly the freq. bands.

Just to mention, for fun I bought a Behringer "copy" of the GE-7 and it sounded quiet and just fine.

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

why dont you try it stock first and then see if you still want to mod it, I have one in my amps fx loop and it sounds fine stock.....but I only use it to bump up the volume for solos and leave the frequencys flat.

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

I'm not going to say ours is best, just pointing out we do that and have been doing mods longer than all those guys combined :)

All the mods should reduce the noise, it's not hard to do, see the DIYSTOMPBOXES forum for the caps and chips to change if you want to try it yourself.

p.s. one of the mod guys does "magic marker mods" - we got one of his SD1 pedals in to remod and all the stock parts were still there, many of which had black magic marker on them and some X and O marks on them. So be careful out there :)

8. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I have one and it is the first pedal in my chain. I wouldn't call it noisy, but then again I use for a very slight mid boost... But I would like to mod it too. :banana

9. Zero

Zero Member

I got the Sniper from ToneJam. When I first got it back I thought it did seem quieter. I use it with a very hiss-heavy Gain channel on one amp and where it was overwhelming pre-mod, the hiss is passable post-mod. Lately though, I've noticed - it's still adds hiss. It's not silent as I've heard claims. I didn't know AnalogMike did this or I would've went with him. I have his TS9DX "808" modded pedal and it's awesome.

10. analogmike

No GE7 mod will be SILENT, his mod is probably fine. It shouls be a quite noticeable improvement though. I will try to put a video up on youtube soon as even the poor audio quality of youtube is quite good enough to hear noise.

11. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

hey mike,
    thanks for chiming in on this one. . . .

if YOU were going to buy an un-modded EQ pedal, and didn't want to deal with the hassle of the noise OR modding it. . . . . what would it be? i guess this is me asking for your recommendation for your 'favorite' or 'best' EQ pedal (used or off of the shelf).
    thanks

12. analogmike

I don't use an EQ pedal myself, I set my amp for my basic tone, then each pedal I use has a nice EQ to it, or a tone control that will get the sound I like. I use a LOT of pedals but keep the pedalboard as small as possible for best tone.

That being said, there ARE some great uses for EQs (booster/shapers) and I hope to work on a new EQ/Boost pedal along with Metro amps soon, that will ROCK into Marshall type amps.

13. Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow Member

A new EQ/Boost with metro amps? Sounds awesome! I've been trying to decide whether or not to look for an old GE-10 to do the 68 plexi brown sound thing, but if you're gonna be making one with the metro guys I'll wait it out!!