Gear before learning

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by original07, Feb 20, 2012.

1. original07

original07 Member

I was picking up my guitar from my local luthier after he had completed some work on it. Another guy was in his shop talking to the luthier and we began to all talk about gear. I was amazed that the guy talking to luthier knew about and had so much gear. We took our conversation outside when the luthier had to answer his phone. The guy began showing me pictures of his gear on his phone it was just an incredible collections of guitars, amps, pedals, etc. He didn't have much vintage stuff but he had a lot of really fine gear. I asked him about being in a band or playing out and he shyly replied that he was just learning how to play and taking lessons. I asked if he was a collector. He replied no. He continues to buy gear but admits he can't play his guitar. He was quick to add that he will continue with the guitar lessons and practice. He really wants to get better and knows that lessons and practice are an essential part of becoming an accomplished guitarist. He said he doesn't think he will ever be really good because he is starting to learn so late in life (if I had to guess I'd say he was in his 40's). I told him he could be a great guitarist if he puts in the time.

Do any of you know people that fit this description with a lot of gear? Do you think he is to old to become a good guitarist? I didn't think so.

2. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Hell, that sounds like 75% of the people here.;)

3. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I know people like that and, quite frankly, I don't get it. I know 2 people in particular that have a ridiculous collection of vintage and high-dollar boutique gear and can hardly play. That would be incredibly frustrating IMO but I'm not them. They can spend their money any way they please.

4. birdie_in_texas

birdie_in_texas I can haz virgins? Silver Supporting Member

Most of the people I know that have nice stuff cannot play any of it! In the case of the folks I am speaking of, they are just rich guys that seemed to have decided that if they have enough cool stuff, maybe being able to learn to play will just rub off on them or something! hahahah

I know just a couple of "real" collectors, and by that, to me, that means they are long time players that have been able to amass "the stuff" they like and/or always wanted.

Just because the guy is in his 40's doesn't mean he can't learn..he just gonna have to practice and try not to get discouraged when the little teeny boppers at the music store where he takes lessons are trilling up and down the fretboard at "Yngwie" speeds..!

5. klatuu

klatuu Member

More power to him. I have no problem with people loving guitars for whatever reason. And since when is being in your 40's "late in life" ? :huh

6. s2y

s2y Member

It wasn't so much gear before learning but gear before MARRIAGE. If that's the case, he's doing it right. :rotflmao

7. original07

original07 Member

That's what I was trying to convey to him.

8. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

I don't see the problem. I have what most would consider a decent collection of gear, yet I bet 99.8% of the membership here can play rings around me any day.

You don't have to be a race car driver to own a Ferrari.

If the guy had the means to afford great gear, and no one was missing out because of it (i.e. he wasn't spending the kids medicine money on guitars) then it's really no one else's concern HOW or WHAT he spends his money on. Is it?

9. AnotherAvatar

AnotherAvatar Senior Member

Like a football team, you have players and owners. The owners put their support, their money into the sport, the players, drive the technology.

Like Bill Gates putting money into curing Malaria, researchers and doctors in the field are given that support and go out and get something done.

The collector/hobby player is a huge segment of the music economy.

While it's easy to deride the guy with a 100k of vintage gear in his basement and he can't play...I am glad he's there...he's supportive of those that can play, and in my industry, my profession, like sports, lives and dies by those that have the money, the desire, the love of what we do and back us. They are in a sense, on our team, and we are on theirs.

All that said, I am glad you gave him encouragement, and keep in mind...for everyone one of these guys you talk to with nice gear, you now have a friend who might invite you over to play some really nice stuff you can't afford otherwise...isn't that neat? Now you can help him a little with his playing, you get to try that Divided by 13 and Vintage Strat that you might not have played otherwise. Win win.

10. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

the same could be said about me: great guitars vitnage and modern, great amps. But consequently, I am TGP's worst guitarist. but hey, I enjoy trying to play my great gear! :p

11. chervokas

chervokas Member

Seems like a bit of a strange way to spend one's money -- on stuff he really can't use though he doesn't consider himself a collector -- but if he's got the cash and that's how he wants to spend it, who am I to judge? (And I'd submit that, in fact, he IS a collector, regardless of his self-definition.) In terms of learning at 40, it definitely takes a little longer for humans to learn as we get older, but it doesn't become impossible.

12. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

Hey......easy on my stomach muscles, there, fellow.

:rotflmao

13. ivers

ivers Member

I'm very optimistic about learning new stuff even as an adult, so I'd just say that if the guy is serious and perseveres, he can become a good player. Would he become the next big virtuoso? My bet is no, but who among us are? And you don't need that to have a hella good time and get fulfillment.

14. original07

original07 Member

I like your win/win scenario.

15. original07

original07 Member

Agreed.

16. original07

original07 Member

I would be foolish not to admit that I am by no means as good as the bulk of our membership. I am quite comfortable in my own skin knowing this.

I just felt this guy's story was worth polling the membership for their advice and comments. I like your Corvette analogy. Thanks.