Gear comparison (amps)

fendervox

I'm debating a new tube amp. I prefer an amp to be clean. I'm talking I can turn it to 10 and it's still clean, or just barely distorted. The two amps I'm thinking are a Carvin Bel-Air (or maybe a nomad) and a THD Univalve. I prefer distortion pedals, and therefore am wondering what amp I should buy for a good quality clean. I am also a strummer with mild picking so I'm not really looking for the noodling type deal. Anyways, I figure asking here is the best place. Any suggestions? I may even be open minded to other suggestions. My price range is anywhere from $300 - $700 probably. Thanks!

fendervox

My only issue with Fender twins, is that they seems to chimey and bright. I prefer the clean sounds of a Mesa Mark VI, however, don't the funds for one of those at the moment. I suppose the term I could use maybe is a 'lush' sounding clean. Not one that is so bright that the treble seems to jump out at you the way I find twins do... any other suggestions?

mgarrison99

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a Bel-Air, and it has a ton of headroom. I use various pedals with it and it sounds great. I had Richard (aka Hasserl) modify the gain stage as well as throw on a master volume, and now it has a great dirty side as well. Good luck!

Trending Topics