• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Gear for drones?

ambivalence

hey!

I'm looking for anything similar to Rainger FX's drone machine. Really digging the thing, but it misses a couple of important things like:

× it doesn't have to be a delay, why overpay for it? just drones would be okay
× i'm fine with delay actually, but it doesn't have tap-in to sync with other gears/delays
× as for drones, it would be great to have an expression pedal input to control them by foot

any ideas?

kramm47

Silver Supporting Member
hey!

I'm looking for anything similar to Rainger FX's drone machine. Really digging the thing, but it misses a couple of important things like:

× it doesn't have to be a delay, why overpay for it? just drones would be okay
× i'm fine with delay actually, but it doesn't have tap-in to sync with other gears/delays
× as for drones, it would be great to have an expression pedal input to control them by foot

any ideas?

Came here to say Freeze too, but actually it's a different thing. The Freeze (and Superego) both require you've made the sound you want to drone. The Drone Rainger (and other pedals like it) have the drone built in.

I use the Freeze live to make drones. It works but not perfectly, mostly because in latch mode it just cuts off, and I always want it to trail off. I run it after delay and before reverb so it trails a bit, which works, but I may yet mess with placement.

Drone machines that make their own noise are really little synths, like the Double Gate Drone from Mattoverse. It's not a pedal, though, and has no input, which means it requires its own amp.

If you run time based effects on your board, you can make drones with a looper by running the looper before them. Of course then you have to keep playing through everything or mess up your drone, but with something like an EHX 720 I believe you can control the volume with an expression pedal.

The Source Audio Ventris, the Walrus Audio Slo, and a number of other reverb pedals have a Freeze feature which work similarly to the EHX Freeze. It's nice because they can do double duty on your board.

If you're looking for pedals that make their own noise, here's a Reddit thread i found on the subject.

Good luck!

ambivalence

Came here to say Freeze too, but actually it's a different thing. The Freeze (and Superego) both require you've made the sound you want to drone. The Drone Rainger (and other pedals like it) have the drone built in.
thanks! indeed I'm looking for (at least two) built-in oscillators with an expression pedal control and an ability to change their voices. actually, it's okay if they don't have its own input, because it's possible to mix them in with fx loop pedals like signal blender. ah, yeah, if this so called oscillator pedal would have its own fx loop it would be great.

I'll check that reddit topic, but if you have any suggestions, feel free to share :) Rainger FX pedal is almost what I'm looking for, because it also have a button to sweep the drone in, but it costs a lot, delay will be unusable without tap-in and no expression pedal input there.

tonedover

Platinum Supporting Member
i dont know of what else does this.
love em or hate em the folks at rainger make sime unique and convo worthy pedals

ilyslue2

The best of all I have used is the humble dd-5. Max the backward setting and use volume swells

kramm47

Silver Supporting Member
Okay, I'm not sure what you want exists. However, I think I'd reach out to this guy.

My guess is he can create a drone machine with and expression pedal jack for you. His prices seem reasonable, too.

There is also this, which while not being precisely what you want, would certainly draw attention. You would have to turn a knob rather than use a pedal, but with that on your board no one would mind.

Just re-read your OP. I think I'd reach out to the first guy. Have him build in a couple of foot switches and an expression jack, pay him some extra bucks, and get just what you want. I bet he'll do it. Heck, if he does, let me know. I'd buy one.

Trending Topics