Gear game: Jerry Garcia

direwolf

Supporting Member
Hypothetical bar gig:

You're subbing as "Jerry" in a dead cover band. What gear would you bring? It doesn't necessarily have gear you own.

atk1

A Twin Reverb or rack version (SMS Preamp or FYD preamp).
A solid state power amp (preferably a McIntosh).
any cab with JBL speakers (I prefer K120s).
Any guitar with OBEL system.

i sat in w/ JGB a couple times while i was in Denver. one time sang a few tunes cause Stu had strep throat.

if i remember correctly, the rig was:
strat (maybe the jazzmaster was somewhere in there), some pedals - echo, reverb, a blaster of some sort, into an old Vibrolux. JBL extension cab or on a Showman one of the times.

Last edited:

Pablomago

A Strat and a Twin Reverb with JBL's would get me most of the way there. Some kind of envelope filter, an overdrive and delay for pedals. The rest would be how well I could cover the playing.

Reactions: aiq

iGouger

Deluxe Reverb (x3)
PRS 594, PRS Super Eagle II
Wah > Klon > TS10 > Q-tron+ > OC3 > Aqua Puss > Carbon Copy > Flint

Hey, works for JM so why not? He seems to be doing a somewhat respectable job trying to fill those huge shoes.

brbadg

2 Princeton Reverbs 12'' speakers ( I'm using Fat Jimmy).Earth drive,MXR distortion+,Phase 100,MXR Carbon Copy.Boss RV 2 ( to split the amps). If it's a small bar,then just 1 amp and the other for backup.

Last edited:

hangten

Silver Supporting Member
Strat>boost>vibrolux works great for me.

I use an attenuator so I can crank the amp and go back and forth between a Gain Changer and the boost side of the box of rock if I need to be louder. Been running the vibrolux into a TT Purple Haze 1x12.

Also use your volume knob on the guitar (and tone!).

HesNot

Some interesting choices - and I haven't studied his custom guitars wolf, tiger, rosebud and lightning in great detail but I know enough to understand why Mayer had the Super Eagle II designed by PRS for the Dead gig - they have a lot of tonal options... So a Super Eagle II would be, price no object, the easiest answer.

For myself I would use my PRS cu24 as I can get humbucker and single coil sounds. Or if I had one a Pauls Guitar.

The Fender amps seem like as good as any for the typical Garcia tones.

I'm a little surprised there aren't more Mutron - QTrons mentioned as that is, more than any other effect, what I think of when I think of Garcia. And hard to replicate with anything else...

Trending Topics