Gear Midlife Crisis

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Prerequisite, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I'm doing a big overhaul of all of my pedals - sold about 4 pedals (Boss volume, loop station, DL4, EHX Holy Stain) and my pedalboard (SKB PS45) and bought three (Boss RV5, Ernie Ball VP Jr., TS9) over the past few weeks and a PT-2 today. It feels pretty good, needless to say.. Once all the new stuff gets here I hope my tone is as good as I hoped it would be.

I guess Midlife Crisis isn't a good name for the thread (I've got a few years before that) but that's the first thought that came into my mind. When was the last time you ever bought and sold multiple pedals? What did you end up with?

I've also got $400 for a new delay and I'm leaning towards an Eventide Timefactor. Thoughts?

2. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Been there, done that.... still kinda going through it too. LOL

Have fun with it. Just make sure you give the new stuff some time to fit in before you say "I hate it and need to dump it."

3. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I scaled down and started buying more.

4. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Yeah. I've been taking some time to make sure I really like the pedals before I buy them (I have friends who have them).

Next up - another overdrive, an Eventide, a buffer, and perhaps selling my DD7 for a Memory Lane Jr.

5. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

Have you tried the Skrecho yet? I think it might be my favorite delay ever.

6. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

I replaced 3 of my drives pedal in the last month. Hopefully it'll stay same for awhile... might just be wishful thinking.

7. elationalways

elationalways Member

Maybe you could say that I'm having a quarter life crisis.

In the past year or so:

I got rid of my Deluxe Reverb RI, TU-2, BD-2, TS9, Dyna Comp, Crybaby, Holy Grail, Verbzilla, and DL4.

I bought a Silverface Twin, Polytune, Cusack Screamer, EB VP Jr., Carbon Copy, VM Super Delay (sent it back - wasn't for me), Timefactor, and a BlueSky.

Kind of just overhauled my setup in general I guess. But I really like my Timefactor. It took a little while to get used to it but it's just a really nice tool for me. I've had no desire to purchase a Timeline. It looks like a cool pedal but I'm done going pedal crazy. The TF is great for what I do.

8. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

Not really looking to get a Timeline either, I have a friend who had one and wasn't happy with it. I'm going to grab a Timefactor as soon as I find a used one around 325.. Haven't had much luck.

9. elationalways

elationalways Member

Dude. I can't paste the link on here because I'm using the forum runner app. User KevinYi has a TF for sale with a T1M aux switch and TRS cable for 325. Message him man!

10. atypicals

atypicals Member

Dude I'm 23 and getting ready to unload 14 pedals, two boards, and possibly an amp to feed my fickleness when it comes to gear. This behavior does not bode well for my future...

If you're looking for a good buffer, I just picked up a Fredric Effects Kl*n Buffer. It's the bee's knees.

http://www.fredric.co.uk/klon-buffer-clone

11. Greiginoz

Greiginoz Member

Yep I'm going through a divorce at the moment so my head isn't straight but I have made myself feel better by buying that super cool Hendrix Fuzz Face which I think is superb, a Timmy as I had never tried one and seen so many guys on here go crazy for em and a Proctavia which I know probably isnt the most revered Octavia pedal out there but I think it's so good it really does the job for the $/£!!!
    I basically want to cop all the Hendrix/Sayce tones but do it in my style form a band a snag a groupie!!! I'm looking for a wah pedal next though like the look of the Wilson Signature wah as I'd prefer a wah thats plug in and play rather than have loads of buttons and bits!
    With regards to the delay thing, I have an Empress VM Superdelay and it really covers just about every delay I'd ever need! Great pedal. Have fun in your mid life crisis!!!

12. Defendant

Defendant Member

It's not a good name for a thread but it is an excellent way to describe The Gear Page.

13. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

Maybe you'll get it out of your system early. I was like you when I was young. I'm 40 tomorrow and I'm probably going to stick with the few things I have for a long time. Mann amp (Garnet stencil with a Bandmaster layout and a deluxe reverb sound), Blackheart handome devil for practice, Dunlop Hendrix wah, DD-3, Danelectro TOD-V1, DS-1 with Keeley mod, Korg tuner. I can get all I need or want out of that setup.

OK, so I almost bought an Evil Robot for my birthday, but it's easy to talk myself out of unneeded gear now that I have kids who want things too. And a mortgage. And car payments. And taxes. etc.

14. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

This. Thankfully I am super satisfied with my tone toys but I have been through many.

15. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I spent all last year with a revolving board of anywhere from 8-10 pedals, chasing sounds through my Blues Jr. I just sold every pedal I owned (except turbo tuner) and amp to fund a new, custom amp (with reverb and trem built in). Had leftover money and bought four pedals that will hopefully cover everything else I need, and let me focus on playing.

16. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have been through this many times. It is a good thing. What I have discovered is that I can make almost any gear sound the same. There are a few pedals that really stand out. When you find them, hold onto them. Some pedals sound good with certain amps and guitars, and not so good with others. Find what works with your rig, and stick with them.

17. Jkeys7

Jkeys7 Member

Less than three years ago my rig was rthe following:

Guitar: Fender Cyclone (w/ SD JB @ bridge and Fender Lace Sensor @ neck)
    Amp: Line 6 Flexton II XL (w/stereo tube preamp in the effects loop - really warmed it up, actually!)
    Board: VP Jr > TU-2 > Behringer Comp > Boss EQ > TS9 > Dano EQ > Behringer Digital Delay (+ FB4 footswitch)

My current set-up is listed in my signature. Needless to say, I've made a MAJOR overhaul. The only things I'm still using are the VP Jr. and the TU-2. I also still play the Cyclone (I really like that guitar, actually!), but it's not my main axe anymore.

18. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I'm 16 and I've spent more on guitar gear than most of my friends on their cars.. The money comes from playing shows/large conferences and such so I've always justified my spending as investing for future playing.

19. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

Wishfull thinking for sure. At least for me it would be!

20. atypicals

atypicals Member

Hey man, what's life if we don't pursue our passions? Money comes and goes, music is forever.

Good luck with the gear hunt!