Gear "pre-order", yes or no?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zztomato, Jan 22, 2015.

1. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Just curious how many are comfortable buying something that isn't in stock ready to ship. To me it's always something that leaves me a bit cold. I can understand a waiting list but the cash outlay before product is even completed is strange.
    What say you?

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I'm afraid i will pre-order, then start GASsing for something else
    :worried

3. Peeb

Peeb Member

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    It is a show of good faith to pay in advance, which I do for guitar orders to the luthiers I deal with, but that has come from doing business over and over with them, and/or getting to know them beforehand, but not for other gear. Once a company has your money, it is hard for them to part with it.

5. coltonius

coltonius SeƱor Member Silver Supporting Member

Depends on whom and how far in advance. I prefer a good old-fashioned wait list, the way AM does for the King of Tone.. far less scandal that way. :aok

6. Class5

Class5 Member

It's always a difficult question. Since I joined TGP, I've seen a few builders go under and leave paying customers without a product or a refund. That can be a concern when dealing with a builder for the first time, however, to provide some balance, I've had nothing but first class service from every company I've dealt with, large or small, pre-paid or waiting list.

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

A pre-order, in my understanding, is for an item that has not hit the market yet. In this case, I prefer to wait and see what other buyers share in reviews and demos.
    If I want it, I try my luck in the used market or buying new after release.

If the item is a current production, but not available for purchase, I would consider that a back-order. If this case, I also prefer to hunt the used market for one that already exists.

8. Class5

Class5 Member

Good point, I understood it to be 'pre-paid'.

9. JSteed

JSteed Member

I think it's very dependent on the builder's track record. Trombetta, PaulC, Duderanimous and John Lyons are all builders who don't ask for money up front but even if they did I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Others, without that track record, maybe not so much...

10. Sentenced

Sentenced Member

I preordered some Toneczar pedals when the Euro to USD exchange rate was 1.3X

A big "I'll pass" is imminent.

11. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

I would have to know the builder personally before I would pre-pay for a long wait. I build custom one-of-a-kind units myself, so there's not really anything out there I would need to wait for anyway.

12. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

I've got to know it's ready to ship that day or it's a no go.......

13. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I don't pre-order anything. I abhor the pre-order trend that has gotten so popular the last few years.

14. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Maybe we're responsible for it. :dunno

15. bt2513

bt2513 Member

Yea - with builders, I'll be pretty selective about pre-ordering. So far, I've had fairly positive experience with Spaceman on that front. Communication is always good and I understand things happen with small operations that aren't ideal.

I would also preorder from a major retailer like Sweetwater. I did this with my Sub 37 and they communicated well throughout the process and waited to charge my card until the order shipped which was cool. They did preauthorize the card at the time of order so we were both covered.

Otherwise, I'll wait to find one ready to go. You can't sell a pedal you don't have if you are short on cash.

16. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

Well, for mass produced gear, it is completely absurd. People always think if they pre-order something they'll get it first. And then they come whining to the forum when the thing starts showing up at GC a month before their pre-order ships.

I would never buy something from one of these "builders" who does the whole pre-order thing but I know a lot of guys are into that. I guess it makes sense in that situation because you might need to hold your place in line. I still think it is a stupid policy. Analogman's system seems to work fine and you don't have to give him any money ahead of time.

But the pre-order trend goes far beyond guitar gear. It's HUGE in the video game industry. Publishers literally withhold content and use it as a "reward" for pre-ordering. It makes it much easier for them to predict future earnings and they can better plan manufacturing runs. On the flipside, you're paying for a product that may be complete garbage.

17. rummy

rummy Member

Depends on whether I have to put money down or not.

18. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

All depends on who im preordering from? Keeley, Analogman, Skreddy and Stomp Under Foot, no problem!

19. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

I have no problems paying full upfront for a pedal before it's built if it's a custom job and I've had good experiences with the builder.

With amps or guitars, the most I'd want to pay up front is half.

20. thecornman

thecornman Member

No thanks! Nothing out there worth pre paying for with all the great options to be had at hand imo.