gear prices

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by distorted noise, Feb 24, 2009.

1. distorted noise

distorted noise Supporting Member

i just recieved the new musician's friend catalog in the mail and i'm pretty disgusted with the prices. it looks like i'll be buying alot of used gear from now on. for example, i can't justify paying $1600 for a new made in mexico "65 twin reverb amp when for a few hundred more i could purchase a victoria amp instead or any boutique amp for that matter. fender also wants $259 for their champion 600. i think peavey is one of the only companies that didn't raise their prices. soon we may not be able to afford good quality gear, especially in this economy. thanks for listening.

2. brittwin

brittwin Supporting Member

I noticed that, too. Holy Cats! Prices are surging... Not just a little, in some cases Fender's stuff went up a butt load. I think an American Standard Strat or Tele is up to almost $1300 from $999 last month. That is craziness! Pure craziness.

3. janosfia

janosfia Member

Yep, I just got priced out of a new MIM Strat.

4. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Musician's Friend still has 'em at $999 which is why I bought one this month. My guess is they'll be going up on Mar. 1.

5. janosfia

janosfia Member

Online? I just got the 2009 MF Buyes Guide in the mail yesterday with prices set at $1349 (or something like that, don't have it in front of me here at work) for the MIA and $549 for the MIM.

6. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

7. masayako

masayako Member

??? America Std. Strat still $999 at their website. I don't see price increase on that.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...ndard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515748

8. masayako

masayako Member

Just price match the cheapest you find online. You don't have to buy from GC or MF if the price ain't right.

9. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

First, other than Peavey making their amps elsewhere now, they're fantastic. I don't know why so many people frown upon them. My Peaveys have always outlived my others.

I'm disgusted with these companies as well. Its bad enough that we're having a hard time, people are losing their jobs, are down, and the musicians are probably hoping to turn to their music in the free time - NOPE - can't afford that either!

I'm not paying for a Mexican made anything over $1000 unless its hand built by a master luthier I don't know about yet. There are too many other fantastic companies offering amazing instruments for cheaper than Fender. $1600 for a production line strat? Hell no. Over $1k for a Mexican made amp? Nope.

The problem is that now everyone who bought a Gibson or Fender for $X is going to try to sell it for what they bought it for new but used. I'm already seeing Les Pauls and Strats through the roof - and the WORST part is that people are buying them to avoid the higher prices!

A friend of mine that is a business matermind told me that they might be doing it to reduce production, saving them money and man time. By raiding the prices, they're selling less, making a little more, and can cut back and not lose so much.

I personally think LOWERING the prices temporarily would not only keep numbers up, people in jobs, and money coming in, but would also bring more faith to them. At least make it seem like they care about the people who buy their gear.

i recently heard that Gibson is switching to ONE neck profile - a larger one based on the 50s style simply because some cat in a suit likes it more. What are they thinking right now?

10. KazJY

KazJY Member

I just sat down after getting the latest MF catalog from my mailbox. Looks like I am in for an interesting read...

11. masayako

masayako Member

For those who got the new MF catalog, how much are they listing the RoadWorn & American Deluxe tele (MIA)?

12. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Fender prices will be raised online and in GC stores on March 1st. The MF catalog reflects all the new pricing. If you want to see all the new pricing without the catalog, go to Sweetwaters website. They have been raised for over a month now.

Roadworns are not going up as far as I know.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am just as irritated about the new pricing as everyone else.

13. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

My local store handily beats MF prices every day. Those prices are outrageous.

14. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

Just got the MF catalog today. Looked through it for about 5 minutes. Now it's in the recycle bin.

15. Targ

Targ Member

zzz

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  16. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

My new MF catalog also arrived. I noticed the new price for the Fender DRRI is $1199 :crazy It is still $949 on the website. I'm glad I bought mine used and in new condition for $600. I'd never shell out that kind of bread for a new one.

17. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I keep it around to look at on the crapper. It has some pretty pics, so it's not completely useless. :huh

18. JimiStiff

JimiStiff Member

i've just heared from a uk dealer, that celestion will have a massive price increase for their speakers. The highest increase will hit the topend products like blue bulldog or heritage series...

19. 5E3

5E3 Supporting Member

Plus if you run out of TP, you can wipe your bum hole with a $3500 guitar ;)

20. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

:roll