• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Gear Sales: Non Smoking and Pet Free?

IceTre

Silver Supporting Member
I see "non smoking, pet free" house" in more and more gear sales. But I can't figure out why that's relevant. Does cigarette smoke harm a guitar amp? or a guitar? And why are pets bad for a guitar or amp... or a delay pedal? I've never been a cigarette smoker, and I don't have a dog or cat, so maybe I'm missing something.

vegarman

Gold Supporting Member
I bought a used lp 30 years ago still smells like pipe tabacky, they also say never left the house, but today most venues are smoke free.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
I see "non smoking, pet free" house" in more and more gear sales. But I can't figure out why that's relevant. Does cigarette smoke harm a guitar amp? or a guitar? And why are pets bad for a guitar or amp... or a delay pedal? I've never been a cigarette smoker, and I don't have a dog or cat, so maybe I'm missing something.
How could it not be relevant? Do you want gear arriving smelling like cat pee or cigarettes when you get it? That's why people put it.

LoopyBullet

Silver Supporting Member
Not that I've had this happen to gear I own, but I've seen my dog as a puppy lift his leg and piss on our couch intentionally (thank goodness he's so good now...and that I don't live in the same house, hahah). So, someone hot having pets, I figure, is assurance that this hasn't happened to the case/gear/whatever. Some pets stink as well, some don't. Some fur gets EVERYWHERE in places you wouldn't think. Nothing you can't clean, but still.

Also, I've received a Tele from who I think is a heavy smoker. Or played a lot of bar gigs with the case wide open. Anyway, it smelled like smoke no matter how much Febreze I used on the case and guitar cleaning kits I used on that Tele. It was a good guitar, not great, but that was too much and I sold it shortly afterward. Bad deal.

So really, these things aren't really issues until they are.

IceTre

Silver Supporting Member
OK, I understand now. I've never had any of those problems buying used gear, but obviously others have. Maybe I should start saying "smoke free" in my gear ads since I've never been a cigarette smoker. I can't say "pet free" because I have a parrot. :)

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Smoke smell never leaves, pet smells never leave. I sold a lot of gear because it spent too much time in smoky bars, I've had cats pee in cases and had to discard them.
Exactly right. Same here. I bought a thin skin Les Paul Special from some heavy smoker character at the Jersey Shore a few years back and had to throw out the gig bag immediately because of the stink. I cleaned the guitar thoroughly with wood soap and various polishes and managed to get the wretched smell off it for the most part, but there was always a bit of lingering odor. I have also been exposed to cases that smelled like cat pee. Believe me, you don't want one of those in your home, unless you're my neighbors across the street who take in stray cats all the time. The last time I was in their home, I almost choked on the stench.

It's no secret that non-smoking people find the smell of cigarettes on a guitar or case to be offensive. And nobody wants a case that reeks of cat urine.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
There was a dude on here who bought an amp once and when he received it noted that the cab was full of cat hair. That's why.

NorCal_Val

It took a couple of years to get rid of the cigarette smoke smell in
the carpet of one of my Rivera M100s. It was about 3 years before
it was ever brought into the house. I'd buy the amp all over again for
the deal I got on it.

FFking

I bought a thin line tele guitar and case that had smoke smell. I left the case open in my garage with a few ALL free and clear dryer sheets inside and the smell was gone in about a week.

I left the guitar on a stand to air out and it did within the same period.

Don't think I could handle cat pee though.

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
No experience with cat pee...but, to my nose, tobacco is one of the foulest odors I've experienced in life...so I appreciate it being mentioned in an ad and I mention it in mine too.

jape

I'm a bit sensitive to cigarette smoke, so I get that part. I know I couldn't keep a piece of gear that had that old cigarette stench. Smoke really is next to impossible to get rid of.

The cat piss thing makes me scratch my head. Don't get me wrong - that is one of the most horrible smells on earth, I get that part. I just don't understand why this is an issue. My wife & I have always had cats & we haven't once had an issue with them peeing on things? I can't imagine we've just been lucky.

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
I had a cat piss on my AC15 years ago. Bleach got rid of any smell, but it stained the tolex. Those type of smells can linger forever if they get into the wood of the cabinet. I bought a guitar from Valley Arts Guitar Center after they had a fire. It didn't get burnt, but it was smoke damaged (finish was fine, just smelled and needed cleaned better). I cleaned it really well, but it still has a very faint smokey odor. I've also bought gear from folks who obviously smoke cigarettes from the smell of it. It ALWAYS takes a couple hours of cleaning and sometimes even then the smell doesn't dissipate.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom