Gear Sanity Check - would like some input...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WaysideRickNJ, Aug 27, 2008.

1. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

After the last 3-4 gigs I've played with the band, I'm finding more and more that I'm not really using my wah or delay much at all, for that matter, I'm not sure if I really need anything other than my tuner and one OD.

That said, I'm considering unloading my entire pedal rig in an effort to buy an original TS808 - Just curious if anyone else has gone the Derek Trucks/SRV route of only using their guitar into one overdrive into their amp? It seems to me that if I were to ditch the others, get a RIDICULOUS OD pedal, and use the volume knob on my guitar more, I'd be better off, with far fewer things clogging my signal.

Overall, just looking to spark up some discussion.

2. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

For years I was the same way, the only pedal I ever used was a TS9 and occasionally a wah. I always felt like anything else would somehow degrade my tone, not to mention I felt like you should be able to get 100% of your tone from the guitar -> amp. I stuck with that and was happy. However, just recently I got my first pedal board and I am enjoying 'painting' with the different sounds. There is an art in and of itself of pedal use....you dont just kick them on at random times or leave them on all the time. That is what I am enjoying at the moment. And with the pedals Im using, I dont notice a loss in tone quality either.

3. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I own an original TS808, and I honestly recommend you buy a Fulldrive II or something similar and not worry about it... The TS808 is not mystical, can't make you sound like SRV, and has no special magic electronics that make it sound better, smoother, cooler, tastier or superior to any of a hundred contemporary overdrive pedals available on the market today. They are - however - somewhat less reliable than most contemporary boutique clones due to the fact that they were mass produced and are getting old, and they're worth so much money that it would be down right stupid to haul them around to bar gigs unless you can afford private security to watch them for the duration...

Mine's not for sale, btw... I'm saving it for my daughter's University education. ;)

from my old website

4. Cado

Cado Member

There has to be plenty of spot on 808 clones out there, to offer another option. I don't use an OD, but if I was looking for one, I'd start with Retro-Sonic & go from there.

5. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Honestly, just rock the TS-9 silver you've got minus the rest of your board. Don't sell the other stuff, though. You might regret that later.

6. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

Was considering selling off/trading one of the A-Man TS9 Silvers for a Katana Boost - then I can rock clean boost for those tunes I'm not using OD.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I played with a guy that had an original TS-808. As far as tube screamers go, it was a really nice sounding one, but not worth nearly what they're going for. I used a Visual Sound Route 66 and it sounded as good or better to me. I certainly wouldn't sell a bunch of stuff to buy one when there are plenty of $100 pedals that sound as good.

8. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Now you're talkin'.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I really love ABB, but also Gov't Mule. In Gov't Mule Warren uses at least a envelope follower (so...like a wah) and a few other effects, subtly (I hear trem also in those and I believe some ABB songs as well).

Still, yeah...it is a dream to drop a bunch of pedals, because suddenly you are just there with your main two sounds or so, and can concentrate more on that. I find I love using pedals, but like you I notice when I have dragged them out to practice or gigs, and ended up not using half of them. Or just using them for one or two songs...and at times I like having a wah, or other things, other times, I like the purity of just playing and only having to decide "do I want OD or not on this part?".

It cuts down the decision making, giving me more CPU time in my head for musical decisions.

10. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

A lot of people like the TS-5's, too. You can pick them up cheaper than TS-9 reissues, a lot of times.

[​IMG]

11. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

OK - so that said - anyone have a Katana Boost they'd trade for an Analogman TS9 Silver Mod in Like new condition with original Box?

LOL

12. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

If using one pedal and a whammy for most eveything you play and that makes you happy.. Sell your pedals and buy yourself a real nice guitar.

13. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I think whatever it takes to motivate you and get your juices flowing (within reason) is great...if simplifying your rig will make you play better or motivate you, than thats great...

but you WILL eventually add more pedals, or return to the pedal board...it just happens...so dont get rid of them, just put them up for a while...:)

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to go a bit against the grain here. I've owned at least 3 versions of the FDII, countless modded and unmodded TS9s, the Foxrox Zim and a number of other TS808 clones and my original is still the best sounding of the bunch (at being a tubescreamer, the Zim is probably a better overdrive). But I wouldn't gig it: too much money tied up in one little easily lost pedal. I like a little "space" around notes, so I'd probably either need a delay or an amp with reverb. Given that, I'd be happy with a good OD or two...

15. WaysideRickNJ

WaysideRickNJ Member

The situation is this:
    I LOVE the reverb in my M/B Blue Angel 1x12 - what I'm thinking now (in light of all that's been said here and other boards) is that I might unload the A-Man DD-6, and one of the TS9 Silvers, and try to land a Keeley BD-2 and Katana Boost. That would give me two different OD's plus a boost I can use for clean and drity.... Thoughts?