Gear talk: compressors, overdrives, and noise gates

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by calebkallander, Mar 24, 2015.

1. calebkallander

calebkallander Member

Okay guys, so I've had my rig pretty solid for a while now.

1998 Parker Fly deluxe>Crybaby 535q>TS9DX tubescreamer>Blackstar HT100>Mesa 4x12 Stilleto cab
    Effects loops send>TC Dreamscape>Carbon Copy delay>BOSS GE7>effects loops return

I like it. Despite most tube amps reputation, I actually like the sound of my amp at lower volumes. But in a live situation, at either band practice or at a gig, I turn up and get some gnarly noise. To add to that, i just picked up a Carl Martin compressor. Now the tube screamer and the compressor are the noisiest things on the floor.
    I've been looking at the ISP Decimator G String to help maintain a clear sound at higher volumes.
    What are your guy's thoughts?

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I recommend just turning down your guitar volume when you're not playing. Noise gates tend to kill your tone. Here is a good, short read by Analogman about noise gates http://www.analogman.com/faq.htm#noise

3. bap_la_so_1

bap_la_so_1 Member

yes i think noise gate is an essential piece of gear that everyone should have
    other than isp, you can have a look at the boss ns-2, mxr smart gate, mxr noise clamp and the rockron guitar silencer
    the isp and boss ns2 are prerty similar. Both work well in reducing amp noise, pedals noise and feedback. X method works work in front and in amp's fx loop
    Mxr noise clamp works in front while the smart gate work well in reducing amp's hiss
    the rocktron works in both place too, but not simutanously

4. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I use the Decimator II G-String. It lets me do crazy things like stack multiple fuzz-tones for "almost out of control" racket. Because it listens to the clean guitar, and gates on the post dirt signal you can keep your threshold set pretty low.

5. calebkallander

calebkallander Member

Interesting! One guy who I was showing my rig to thought it was unnecessary that I had both a compressor and an overdrive. They said the overdrive should do already what the compressor would be doing?

6. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

It's hard to generalise as everyone needs to find what works for them, but IMO/IME a compressor is best used for clean/crunch tones and are nearly pointless for hi gain, all you do is add a bunch of noise.

Also IMO, a noise gate is definitely not a must have.

7. NielsM

NielsM Member

You COULD use a compressor for crunch tones, but it basicly isn't designed for that. It's mostly used for sustain and having you're playing dynamics being squashed a little (or a lot, depending on what you like).
    Personally I don't really like compressors. I like my playing to have dynamics and being able to play around with dynamics. It also keeps me focussed on my playing, rather than having the compressor squash the too soft and too hard attack on the strings.
    Although is really valueable for you delay tones. It tracks the signal much better that way.

IMO the noisegate is definitly indeed not a must have.

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I think of compressors more in a tone-shaping way, as in a certain "sound", think 80's squashed clean tones, funky rhythms or Gilmours medium gain lead tones. Cool used as an effect here and there, but never something I'd ever use as "always on". :aok

9. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

If you're going country you NEED a compressor. Tele into comp into twin = instant cowboy hat. If we're not talking country - what Blix said.

10. Supern00b

Supern00b Member

I think if you're playing in a big band setting as a rhythm/lead guitarist, or in a large venue you should get a compressor, just so that the attack of the pick doesn't overpower the remainder of the signal...

11. calebkallander

calebkallander Member

Well I definitely play live and gig regularly. I guess I'll keep it around a little longer and just mess with it more. If I don't like it, I'll still probably keep it around in the arsenal. :)

12. guitarmv

guitarmv Member

My current rig: gtr->polytune->Qtron->DynaComp->Swollen Pickle->Wamp Paisley->Ehx Nano Boost->Rivera R55//Loop->TCE Chorus+->TCE Analog Dly->return//.

After a lot of research, checking out what pro's did/do for best solo sound, found out about Tonebender, but cant afford clone yet, but saw that Schon uses Boss CS3 comp. (modded), PEGGED, for solos. Found tone of stock CS3 to be sucky, but the DynaComp to keep it rich.

Here's my experience: With the Dyna pegged, while the note signal is strong, I get both boost and the sustain that seems to me to be the key component of the best solos: the Tonebender achievement, when used with either the NanoBoost, Paisley, or Swollen Pickle (which doesnt give the sustain I hoped for, though I like it). The comp, pegged, drives the gainstage nicely, but makes for a helluva lot of noise when the signal from the guitar weakens.

SO I just acquired an NS2 and am going to see how it works. Because of this thread and others, will try all four boost/drive/fuzz/comp in loop first, see what it does to my signal. Have had excellent experience w Sonic Stomp in the past, so may need to add one to loop, or...?

Very helpful thread, thx.