Gear That Has Changed Your Life

arnie65

Silver Supporting Member
Finding a beat up Hondo strat in a garbage can coming from school in the Spring of 1978....

Mike Duncan

Staff member
Platinum Supporting Member
Fender Stratocaster
PRS David Grissom Trem
Ibanez TS-9
Fulltone OCD

mikem

A Hofner, Beatle-bass shaped six-string- the first electric I ever played- it was all over after that. It was a real cheapie and had rusted strings- it hurt to play the damned thing, but it was better than my $50 Sears acoustic.

Mike

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
My newly acquired '68 Princeton Reverb. Where has this amp been my whole life!?!?

Telecasters. I can't picture playing without one for the rest of my existence.

Hackubus

Not so much "Life Altering" but more like "Pointed In The Right Direction"

using the volume knob on my guitars
EQ Pedal in the fx loop
JCM 800 2204
Strobostomp
'57 TV Junior
RS Kits
Boost pedals

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Two things come to mind. First, plugging into a beat up late '50s Gibson GA40 amp years ago. It surprised me, not just how good the tones were, but how different too, from any and everything I've been playing. I'd never heard anything like it; the sound instantly fit me. All the tweed and oddball amps I play now are a direct result of that old Gibson.

The other is my '66 ES-335. I owned it for many years before making it playable with a fret job. Had never really been able to hear it, the frets were that bad. I got it back in perfect playing condition, and suddenly humbuckers made sense. I'd never liked HB guitars much, never even owned one. That 335 made me realize I just hadn't played the right ones.

Ascension

My Fender Prosonics. They give me the tones i hear in my head.
My Washburn USA MG series guitars all 4 of my main player are from the same year 2 Swamp Ash PRO series guitars a MG 100 and a 102 and 2 Artist series guitars a MG 1202 and a 122 with Quilt Maple over Honduras Mahogany. Love the necks and the workmanship is just crazy good! Played a $3000 Sur yesterday for quite a while demoing a couple of amps and all the time kept thinking this is nice but I wish I had one of my Washburns with me!

franksguitar

Early days
Going from a Teisco & Kapa to a Gibson SG
Getting My first good amp an Ampeg Gemini VI
Getting a Univox Fuzz & a WEM copicat
Getting My first reel to reel with Sound on Sound
Later
Getting an ES335 and a Fender Twin
Nowdays
Getting a good strat, Les Paul and later accumulating 25 guitars & 12 amps and a great recording studio

Bluesbuff

My first Gibson Les Paul, 04 Deluxe with Lollar P90s. I will never forget plugging it in for the first time, hearing that tone that had been in my head forever and wondering why did it take me so long to do this?????? Now I 'm in love with that big fat sound, nothing else except my 339 comes close.

Second choice, Bogner Shiva. Super shimmering Fender cleans and Marshall crunch in one amp, superb. Now if it was only light enough to cart around to gigs.

rjk

without a doubt my Matchless Hotbox. I already got tones I was happy with through my '62 blonde bassman. However, with the hotbox I fell in love with the tones and started playing with much less gain. Playing with less gain forced me to play better and more interesting parts (hopefully).

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Two things come to mind. First, plugging into a beat up late '50s Gibson GA40 amp years ago. It surprised me, not just how good the tones were, but how different too, from any and everything I've been playing. I'd never heard anything like it; the sound instantly fit me. All the tweed and oddball amps I play now are a direct result of that old Gibson.

How did I forget that one?
A buddy of mine and I used to play out of a beat to crap GA40 and the sound was something special.
Nowadays I play all tweeds.

davejeon02

-Stratocaster
-Tremolo (yes, a tremolo BRIDGE.) even though a lot of people don't like it, I use the tremolo a LOT.
-.10 gauge Pure Nickel strings
-Delay (my most used effect, even more than I use OD)
-Soldering Iron (has saved me tons of money LOL)

takakat

Guitar synthesizer for me now I can play other instruments sound from my guitar that I could not do before.

blueshawk1

This one was an easy one for me, this was the "life changer" for me;

Before I got this guitar (around '83), I wouldn't even consider a Fender style guitar, I thought teles and strats were ugly. I don't how the guy at my favorite shop at the time got me to even try it, but it went home with me that day, and teles have been my favorite ever since (and it also made me try strats which I like too).

bgood

My college roomate's noname acoustic that I picked up one day to start learning how to play guitar. 24 years ago. Everything after that pales in comparison as far as life changing goes.

Trending Topics