Geddy Lee Rolling Stone article on Hemispheres ... no change on Rush status

presence

Just read the new Rolling Stone interview with Geddy Lee where he discusses the Hemispheres album and his new bass book that he's been working on for the past 3 years. Article link: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rush-geddy-lee-interview-prog-rock-hemispheres-738828/

Regarding status of Rush:

Is there anything at all you can tell us about the state of Rush in general?

The state of Rush in general … Well, I’d say I can’t really tell you much other than that there are zero plans to tour again. As I said earlier, we’re very close and talk all the time, but we don’t talk about work. We’re friends, and we talk about life as friends. I can’t really tell you more than that, I’m afraid. I would say there’s no chance of seeing Rush on tour again as Alex, Geddy, Neil. But would you see one of us or two of us or three of us? That’s possible.​

I hope the three of them will do a Vegas residency.

Geddy and Alex could also tour with Tyler Warren. This video still blows my mind:

presence

The last tour was perfect. They all have enough money to live out the rest of their lives doing whatever they please. Leave it be.
That was also true 20+ years ago. Glad they didn't stop then! I think the point is that Geddy and Alex would still like to do something.

DirtLover

Silver Supporting Member
There will never be a version of Rush that isn't those 3 guys - they're the opposite of KISS. I would think that Geddy and Alex might end up doing something together or separate projects but it ain't going to be Rush - and that could be a good thing. Sounds like they're happy, satisfied and enjoying this phase of life. Would love to see any/all of them live again in some form or another.

taco-man

Platinum Supporting Member
"...this key was mental to sing in...It’s like, 'Holy crap, I have to sing this!'”

"I always considered Alex’s brain to be “La Villa Strangiato."

"He went into his bedroom with his wife one night, and he came out the next day with a fukd-up finger."

NB_Terry

I’m as big a fan as they come and I think it’s time for people to stop asking these questions of them.
Yep. I've heard that Neil Peart doesn't even have a drum kit at his house.

Regardless, a few years ago he said that he's in pain playing a full show and that he can't play as well as he used to. He said that Charlie Watts can still do the Stones justice live, but he can't do the Rush material well enough.

I'm sure the same thing will start happening to more of the older bands with music that is physically challenging. Metallica comes to mind. They likely have 5 or so more years before the years catch up with them.

Misterbulbous

That was a great interview. Haven’t watched all the embedded clips but the La Villa Strangiato one was awesome. Almost like being on stage. And, you could see alex’s black fingernail.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
Rush is over. Was great while it lasted, but time to move on. Alex’s fingers and Ged’s Voice were starting to fail. Better to quit now rather than let the impact of age show its ugly face.

presence

What kind of riddle is that?
Maybe seeing all 3 together in a residency (as opposed to a tour) or in a video playing together?

I agree with others that no one could reasonably ask anything more of them. That's not the point.

My understanding is that Geddy and Alex themselves want to continue. That's not fans asking them to, that's coming from them. Hence the interest and speculation.

Listen to what Geddy said:

I would say there’s no chance of seeing Rush on tour again as Alex, Geddy, Neil. But would you see one of us or two of us or three of us? That’s possible.
That seems like a wide open door to at least more albums if not a residency or touring with another drummer like Tyler Warren. I don't think it's over.

Last edited:

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
I'm glad I saw them for that final tour!

Took me till then to finally see them live....that is the sad part. Would have loved to see them more through the years.

Trending Topics