Geddy Lee's bass playing and tone on Clockwork Angels...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Allen in San Jose, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

OMFG...I had forgotten how HEAVY and downright NASTY his tone and sound was on this album.

And the playing ain't bad, either. ;)

Anyone else here a fan of "Ged"? Yeah his voice is...um...well you can either put up with it or you can't, heh. Say what you will about his "unique" voice, but I can't help but respect a guy who sings, while playing those ridiculous bass lines, while also playing keyboards and triggering samples with his feet-often all in the same song! :eek:

And he seems like the most mellow, humble guy in his interviews, and a great family man, as well! Can't help but respect him for that, either. He (and Neil, and Alex) are not at all stereotypical "rock stars", on many scores!

Great albums, great playing, great work ethic, great family men...and they are all so incredibly humble about it, and they don't take themselves (as opposed to their music and playing) very seriously, either (how a-boot 'dose wacky Canucks, eh? :D)

Anyway, this thread started with me marveling at Ged's bass abilities, but it turned into a Rush appreciation thread. I tip my hat to Canada's premier power trio-41 years now with the same lineup? :eek: Gotta respect that, as well. :)

Here's to Rush, and their 2015 tour! Cheers! :D

2. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Do you like Caress of Steel?

3. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

Yes, actually, even if it was a "flop" at the time, and was overshadowed by the many GREAT albums that followed it.

Bastille Day and The Necromancer are very cool, IMHO. :)

4. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I really like his bass playing. I also like his voice. Geddy Lee is cool in my book.

5. evhtone

evhtone Member

He's the man! So talented.

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Love the band, not a fan of the album (Clockwork Angels)
    The Necromancer lol! Talking me back!

7. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

That's cool. "I think I'm Going Bald" was written about me. We talk about that album a lot here.

Back to Clockwork...I think I could only listen to it once in my truck. I know it's been a hot topic, but it is so damn fatiguing to my ears. There just isn't any space to breath. It wore me out and I had no desire to go back and listen again. I'd love to take my son to their concert, but alas they aren't coming anywhere near Kentucky.

8. wcfields

wcfields Member

Not a fan of Clockwork Angels either....one of their worst IMO..

9. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

On a steady decline since Rutsey's departure.

10. wcfields

wcfields Member

On a steady decline since Moving Pictures.....

11. blong

blong Supporting Member

I absolutely love Rush. The last couple of albums, in my opinion, are better than most crap coming out, but since Roll the Bones I am able to take the last couple of CD's out after a few listens. I find that after I wait awhile I love 'em, but Roll the Bones was the last one where I listened until I knew every lyric and every lick.

All the are consummate professionals and some of the best musicians in rock history. And how they gel together is amazing. The greatest thing to me is how much music they make live as a 3 piece. The bass pedals, synthesizers, and everything else. It sounds like 7 guys up there. They are truly amazing. Geddy is certainly the best rock bass player in history.

Bob

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I can't stand Geddy's tone now. Sounds like a rusty chainsaw cutting through a metal pipe.

Crank up some Power Windows if you want to hear what Geddy's bass should sound like. That Wal bass sounds amazing.

13. Fuzzdog

Fuzzdog Member

Funny, the Wal era is probably my least favourite tone Ged ever had - far too polite and small. Bring on the rusty chainsaw. :D

14. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Geddy Lee = one of the greats. Got his own thing going on.

15. KHAN

KHAN Member

The epitome of Geddy's tone right here IMO.

16. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

He's always had great tone. His voice in recent years is no longer what it was post MP and not even close to pre MP. But he's never played a bad note, has chops to burn, great tone and every album is a new direction. Who can't respect that?

17. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

I like Clockwork Angels a lot, but I like stuff that rocks, and it rocks harder than anything they have put out in a very long time.

For some reason, it took me a long time to realize how fantastic a bass player he is. I don't know why. Probably because when I was younger I always listened to the guitar first. And then if it wasn't the guitar, then it was obviously the drums with Rush. Once I finally focused on his played, I was amazed. Still am, in fact. He obviously has the chops, but that's only part of the package. He has a great sense of melody and timing that a lot of the best players lack. He is a top 5 rock bass player, in my opinion, and when you combine him Peart, I mean sheez. Nice rhythm section they have there in the Great White North. To the point where it is easy to overlook a lot of the stuff Alex does.

18. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

On a steady decline since Power Windows...

19. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

On a steady decline since Power Windows...

I like the three albums that followed Moving Pictures better than Moving pictures... :hide2

20. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

I think that's the key to their longevity and success. People with big egos always seem to have anger and strife in their lives and careers, but the guys in Rush pretty much know their talent is a gift and enjoy sharing it with others.

:JAM