1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Geek MacDaddy British Ball Breaker

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gargoyle, May 23, 2011.

1. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Guys, I am not usually one to overly gush about pedal purchases, however this most recent one impressed me so much I thought I would share the experience.

I have been searching for a Plexi type pedal that works with my Trainwreck Rocket clone (Based on Vox AC30 TB with a bit more balls).
    Have tried quite a few, although in Australia we dont have the choices available to our US friends.
    This is perhaps the closest thing I have ever heard to a Plexi in a Box. The pedal has 4 controls, Volume, Presence, Tone and Distortion which allow some good tweakability.
    I set the amp up pretty well flat on the EQ with no breakup and tried a few guitars with it. Here's my findings;

MIJ Les paul with TV Jones pickups;
    This is my favourite combination, very open sounding with great presence. Set the Volume at 3 Oclock, Presence at 1 oclock, tone midway and Dist around 3 oclock. This gave me some early Malcolm Young tones, think Long way to the top, Jailbreak, high voltage.

MIJ Les Paul Wolfetone DrV Pickups;
    Gave a little more compression than the TV Jones but still had that Plexi openess, more Angus than Malcolm. Also managed some nice early Gunners.

Strat
    The lower powered pickups required the Vol and Dist to go up to break it up a bit more. Great blues tone, not really distorted but rather an on the edge tone with some hair on it. By turning the amp up to breakup and then kicking the pedal the late 60's early 70's strat rock tone is all there.

This pedal does not do the driven JCM800 tone, the Distortion kinda runs out before that happens. Its more of a low/mid gain pedal with a very open sound with little compression.

Others I have tried;
    MiAudio Crunchbox, Nice pedal sounded more JCM than Plexi
    Rockett Flex Drive, 2nd to the Geek,
    Wampler Plextortion, again more JCM and a little compressed
    Rothwell Hellbender, Not bad but sounded better through other amps rather than mine.
    Box of Rock, didnt like this one much, kinda dark with very little presence.

Highly recommended guys, I'll see if I can get some clips happening soon.
    Sorry for the long post

Cheers

2. GeekMacdaddy

GeekMacdaddy Member

Thanks very much for the kind words. I have 2 here with graphics that are less than perfect, which I am discounting in case anyone is interested.

3. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

I'm with you on this one. I tried many Marshall in a box pedals for my crunch tone through a clean 1986 model plexi clone. I tried many of the pedals that are appreciated here. The Ball Breaker was hands down the pedal with the 'biggest' tone. It was rather amazing.

I hope Mr. Rubin doesn't mind me mentioning this, but I did have him mod mine for a little more gain. Now it not only covers the tones as described by the OP, but mine also gets me into the JCM 800 zone. Then I had Mr. Rubin build me another!

4. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

Golddillion, great idea mate. Especially if it retains the openess in the tone.

5. kstrat62

kstrat62 Supporting Member

Wondering if this can do the "hollow, woody" tone on a strat neck pickup thru a clean amp?

6. golddillion

golddillion Supporting Member

Last week I took my rig out of the trailer and into the basement for some speaker testing. It had been a while since I had dimed my plexi, so I punished my ears for a few minutes. I often hear of the 'dimed plexi' tone being cool, but I much prefer the Ball Breaker tone through the plexi at a fraction of the volume. It has just such a full, open, big sound.

The added gain from Mr. Rubin's mod in no way diminished the openess.

kstrat62 - can you give some examples of recorded tone you are referencing? It's been a while since I've played my strat, but I'll break it out at this weekend's gig and report back to you.

7. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

The Geek does have a way with tone, for sure. :)

8. kstrat62

I guess the best way to describe it would be the Hendrix cleanish-edge of breakup tones(can't think of a specific song right now!)

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Really?

10. kstrat62

Golddillion, how'd the strat sound at the gig this weekend?

11. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I've been spending a lot of time with my BBB lately and I always come back to it and each time think it's the best overall OD pedal I've ever played.