GeekMacDaddy - BBB - British Ball Breaker pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zerorez, Aug 30, 2008.

1. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Big props to Jeff at GeekMacDaddy for the BBB pedal and excellent customer service!

I ordered my pedal early this week and received it today. I just spent about 1 hour trying out the pedal. Previous reviews posted here on the British Ball Breaker pedal sum up my feeling also!

This pedal ROCKS!

As soon as I plugged my Les Paul in and ran it into my JTM45 combo set clean it was instant tonal bliss.

The pedal is very rich in harmonic content and produces very nice sustain and swells into beautiful feedback overtones on chords and single notes.

If you are looking for the AC/DC or Judas Priest, marshall in a box sound, give this pedal some serious consideration and check out the sound clips at http://www.geekmacdaddy.com/index.html

Time to put my cap on with the devil horns and get back to playing some AC/DC riffs!:Devil

Joe

[​IMG]

2. 4styx

4styx Member

With a Strat tuned down to Eb it's heaven.

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Jeff and I cut our teeth in same "pedal school of hard knocks".

Great guy, great builder, and wonderful pedals.

4. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Glad you're liking it Joe. I'm still enjoying the heck out of mine. I've been having tons of fun playing it through a Fargen Miniplex Mk 2 set slightly driven, and then use the BBB :RoCkIn. Amazing overdriven and distorted tones. What surprised me as well is that it is very good as a low-gain pedal as well.

5. zerorez

Thanks Rock, besides the sound clips on Jeff's site, it was the reviews by you and Shallbe that convinced me to order one and I am glad I did.

It seems like we all have been through some of the similar pedals in past from the threads on TGP, I appreciate the input you guys have on gear that you have tried in the past! :)

Cheers!
    Joe
    :BEER

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

It is a killer pedal, I got mine this morning.

But if you think its high gain, think again. It does medium gain Plexi sounds VERY well but is a little shy of the higher gain JCM800 sound.

(pssst... that's why i'm selling it in the emporium right now...)

7. zerorez

:bkw

Any more gain and you loose some of the clarity and definition, if you need more gain, I would suggest stacking it with something else!

Everybodys musical preferences and styles are different, but hey, best of luck, I sure it will sell quick for you! :dude

8. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

it's not as much gain as it is "hair" on the notes. It just doesn't sound aggressive enough for what I'm trying to do.

9. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Yes, I think we have, the "fate" of TGP :). What amp are you running the BBB through??

10. zerorez

I am using a Rockytop JTM 45 clone with 2 x12 Greenbacks and KT66 Power Tubes, I like to run it clean, it does have quite a bit of headroom before it starts to break up. The BBB really gives it a nice grind at manageable volume levels for sure. :AOK

11. zerorez

Spent some more time with the BBB last night and it really is pretty versatile, you can get some nice lower gain tones also, this is the 1st 4 knob pedal that I have tried where everything functions fantastic and interacts very well to shape the overall tone and very easy to dial in good sounds.

I usually try to keep it simple and use 3 knob OD's like Landgraff, Skreddy, BJF, LP. I have tried a Menatone Kar Krash and Zen Drive, but found myself tweaking the knobs to much to dial in sounds that work well with Single Coils and Humbuckers.

At one time I have owned LP PP100 and The 45, I find the BBB does the classic marshall grind the best so far compared to other pedals that I have owned and works well for both Chording and Leads.

The only other pedal that reminds me somewhat of the BBB with the grind and sustain, was a LP Custom 800 Hot that I had for a short bit, Sean told me it was is highest gain pedal that he offered, and was for sale on a limited basis, usely on ebay. I have not seen the limited 800 custom hot offered since the PP800 was released.

The BBB has pretty much ended my search for the higher gain OD, marshall in a box sound for sure. Now I am curious how the Geek Screamer sounds for the traditional TS808 sounds.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  12. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Coming from the OCD v.4 side of the fence, what can I expect? FWIW, I love the "bigness" of the OCD at gig level; how does this BBB compare?