geez, several Dumble and Trainwreck threads daily!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalcr8z, Jan 9, 2008.

1. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Yawn!!!! Am I alone here.......the brands are history let them go! Sure they were good but from my brief experience with a OD- 100 combo this past summer at a local now defunct music store, it was not an earth shattering, heavens opening, trumpets sounding experience and sure as heck wasn't worth the supposed 25k asking price......what am I missing here:NUTS

2. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

I have a Dumble clone on order.. yes...
    But I´m getting tired of all the Dumble threads... it seems people don´t have any other things to discuss here at the amp section..
    Everyday there´s 2 or 3 new Dumble-something topics..

Edit: And this is another one :D

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Yep!

4. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    It has become very boring around here. Especially if you don't think Robben Ford is the be all end all. Nothing against him I just don't listen to his music much. Not my cup of tea.

Chuck

5. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

I had barely heard of Trainwreck until I started reading posts in this forum.

It seems like God himself must have a Trainwreck:rolleyes:

6. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Geezer amps.:D

7. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

8. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Just be happy there's not another Axe-FX thread!

9. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

Man you got that one right!:dude

10. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

Dumble Shmumble..

Add this thread to yet another D...........thread.

11. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I hate having to come out against all this boring dumble talk... it makes me feel like one of those guys in the FX forum that say "whatever happened to just plugging straight into the amp??" but honestly, the whole dumble thing just sounds to me like somebody who went crazy modding a tubescreamer.

12. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

I'll stick up for mine.. I started one on what tubes people like in their Dumble/Dumble inspired amps. I was curious what other's experience was and what they settled on and why. There are certainly enough of these amps around... and more on the way!

13. bosstone

bosstone Member

After you have read your 100th Road & Track comparison of the Ferrari to the Lamborghini you skip to the stats and a minute later you're off to something else. The next phase is that you rarely pay any attention at all. The same goes for exotic amps.

14. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I see threads all the time about Plexi Marshalls and blackface/silverface Fenders so why not a few Dumble and Wreck threads? Actually since these amps are so rare I can understand even more talk about them, because for some that is the only way to learn about them let alone play one in person.

I'll admit the inflated value of these amps is mainly due to the rarity, though it does help that these amps have their own unique thing going on. I'm sure if there were only 100 Fender Deluxe reverbs in existence you would see them go insane prices too.

Also, this is a big forum with plenty of new members all the time. You see plenty of repeat threads of all kinds. As much as you can "search" for things, I think people like to talk directly with fresh comments. Even if these brands are effectively dead the cloners are not and are getting better all the time...

Yep, I know I'm guilty of plenty of Trainwreck threads with all my clips and Youtube videos, CD and such. However I think folks appreciate this as I've really helped folks hear what the Wrecks sound like.

That said, even if folks can't really get originals of these amps there are decent clones available that get close. So, in that light I wouldn't call these brands dead and if anything the talk helps folks to judge IF their clone is in the ballpark of the real deal.

Glen
    www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall

15. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I couldn't agree more. If you guys are bothered by the Dumble or Trainwreck threads...don't read them! It's like when someone asks a question about the differences between the Lovepedal Eternity models and rather than just answer the question simply from experience, someone tells them to do a search with this exasperated attitude. Hey, that person might be new to the Gear Page, or just bought the pedal for the first time. I just posted a thread about having a TS808 and wanting to know how the G2D and MJM pedals compared - the first post I got back was "this is a joke, right?". I can understand if there's a thread about Dumbles and Trainwrecks being overpriced and overrated and a discussion of that, but to start one to complain simply about how too many people are starting threads on these amps? Come on guys...

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I agree. Last year, I started a thread asking for examples of Trainwrecks on recordings and the only one that anybody would have heard of was Brian Adam's guitarist on a few songs like "Only Love." Truth is, the vast and overwhelming majority of memorable tones in the rock/blues/jazz/fusion repertoire have been made by Fender, Marshall, Vox, and Hiwatt amps.

17. dspblues

That doesn't mean they aren't great amps.

18. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

You're right. Fender, Marshall, Vox and Hiwatt are great amps.

19. dspblues

Uh... right. Out of context obviously. Let me rephrase, just because Trainwrecks aren't all over famous recordings that doesn't mean they aren't great amps.

20. Crikey

Crikey Member

Yeah - no one really contributed much to my Peavey Bandit thread. Why do the exotic amps get all the attention?

Seriously, though -- I think it's cool there is a place people who are into specialty amps can come to discuss them. There are threads about just about every kind of amp, and if there isn't one about what you want to talk about, you can start one.

I appreciate what I've learned here about Trainwreck amps and others inspired by them. That's a sound that resonates with me. I'll never own and maybe never even play a real Trainwreck, but it is cool to hear about them, and TGP is one of a few places I can do that. It's great that Glen and others are willing to share their experiences with them, in Glen's case on YouTube and on CD as well as here.

I guess that's all I've got: I appreciate having access to these discussions, but I don't feel compelled to read them if they aren't pertinent to me.

Crikey