geez, several Dumble and Trainwreck threads daily!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalcr8z, Jan 9, 2008.

1. glenecho

glenecho Member

gotta agree...I can ignore the threads and usually do...but just a scan of the front page of threads will show anyone that this forum has gone off the deep end of Dumble/Robben Ford/Trainwreck craziness.

Guess I just don't get it...I can think of about 20 other players that inspire me way more than Robben Ford and I hear nothing in the Dumble sound that makes me want to copy/achieve that tone but hey...too each his own. I personally think it has a lot more to do with showing off expensive amps and setups than it does with music...but again I like what I like and it just isn't this.

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I totally agree - Trainwrecks and Dumbles are wonderful amps. But there seems to be a feeling here that if you're not playing one of these amps or a close derivative that your stuck with borscht or something. Maybe you're a poor schmuck plinking away on a Super Reverb or JTM 45:jo

3. dspblues

dspblues Member

I think that's just the tone that some people are looking for. Nothing wrong with a good old Fender or Marshall. :)

4. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Glen you make several valid points....thank you. I've seen your clips and I'm fairly certain you could get awfully close to your sound for alot less denaros....you are a very talented player with sustain that seems to go on for weeks!

5. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Well, I think the reason is because the original tones generated by the various Dumble incarnations are some of the most desirable, yet most elusive, ever recorded. It's easy for most weekend warriors to cop classic Marshall/Fender/Mesa/Vox tones. The original companies still make those amps and there are tons of high quality derivatives available. But, those classic Dumble tones remain elusive. Until recently, there have not been readily available derivatives available for purchase by the common man! So, the Marshall/Fender/Mesa/Vox "madness" has already come and gone, but the D-style madness is just getting started!

In addition, the amps inspired and spawned as a result of that search for D-style tonality have turned out to be some of the most dynamic, touch-sensitive and flexible amps ever built and have far exceeded the goodness of the Fender/Marshall/Mesa/Vox derivatives preceding them. Some of them do all that and so much more! For example, read the GP review of the Fuchs TDS to get a clue. That particular D-inspired amp is capable of covering damn near every style of electric guitar music ever made and doing it in supreme style (pun intended). I know because I own the same amp they reviewed!

So, to question the Dumble clone "craze" is a bit like sticking your head in the sand. You can ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist or you can open your eyes and see what it might have to offer you!

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Not to speak for Glen, but I'd like to point out that at the time when Glen acquired his '59 Les Paul and his Trainwreck, they were both priced around where botique gear is priced nowadays, relative to inflation and such.

Glen has the good furtune to play through a couple of the 'holy grails' of tone - a REAL '59 Les Paul and a REAL Trainwreck. Nearly the entire amp and guitar industry are based around trying to reproduce exactly those sorts of tones, for less.

I agree, you could probeably get 'close' to that sound, for less. If that's what you're looking for, go for it. As with all things fidelity, you can get close without spending too too much money. It's those last couple of percentage points of tone and feel that really cost big money. Subtle stuff. Is it worth it?

We all have to judge that for ourselves.

Thanks, Dana O.

7. glenecho

glenecho Member

It's a little odd to me that the Dumble tone or Trainwreck tone is so commonly referred to as "elusive", yet it seems like every other high priced boutique manufacturer out there has a clone of one of those amps available and it seems like a very high percentage of people on this board have one of said clones. Yet, the tone is still "elusive"? Lot of money to spend on gear that doesn't get the desired tone...my two cents.

P.S. I like Eric Johnson's Steel String Singer tone way better than any of the RF or LC tones...does anyone have a clone of that?

P.P.S. Still trying to understand why, if every Dumble is different and tweaked to the player, there IS a Dumble tone?

8. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Because I can go straight in with my Tele, with 0 stomp boxes, and it sounds pleasing to my ears. There's no other amp I own that has fantastic cleans AND fantastic OD with no pedals required, especially on single coils.

That's not to say that lots of other amps like this don't exist but the Fuchs happens to be the one that was most pleasing to my ear....

When there are thousands upon thousands of Dumble et. al kicking around, and people have had 50 years to coax every sound imaginable out of them (like Fender Twins, for example) the mystique will go away....some time in 2025, I believe :)

We'll be lucky to have a reasonable supply of tubes by then anyway :eek:

9. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Great... so you decided to start another one. :AOK

10. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Well, I think the reason is because the original tones generated by the various Dumble incarnations are some of the most desirable, yet most elusive, ever recorded. It's easy for most weekend warriors to cop classic Marshall/Fender/Mesa/Vox tones. The original companies still make those amps and there are tons of high quality derivatives available. But, those classic Dumble tones remain elusive. Until recently, there have not been readily available derivatives available for purchase by the common man! So, the Marshall/Fender/Mesa/Vox "madness" has already come and gone, but the D-style madness is just getting started!

In addition, the amps inspired and spawned as a result of that search for D-style tonality have turned out to be some of the most dynamic, touch-sensitive and flexible amps ever built and have far exceeded the goodness of the Fender/Marshall/Mesa/Vox derivatives preceding them. Some of them do all that and so much more! For example, read the GP review of the Fuchs TDS to get a clue. That particular D-inspired amp is capable of covering damn near every style of electric guitar music ever made and doing it in supreme style (pun intended). I know because I own the same amp they reviewed!

So, to question the Dumble clone "craze" is a bit like sticking your head in the sand. You can ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist or you can open your eyes and see what it might have to offer you!

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I have to take exception to this comment. I love my Fuchs, and would put it up there with the top 3 or 4 amps I own, but my 53 Deluxe is just as dynamic and touch sensitive (and with the volume control on the guitar, nearly as flexible). Yes, it's COMPLETELY different in feel but it's not inferior. You can, however, get 98% of the way there from any one of 20 or 30 companies, including Fender, for less than $2k. A really good Dumble clone will still cost $2-5k or more, so even the clones are out of the reach of many people with a beer budget. And no one I know has even played a Trainwreck, so copying that tone is a matter of faith at best.

I think the fact that the personalities of the people who produced these are intriguing make the threads more fun (and the sad fact that one of them is dead and the other is building few if any amps). If Randall Smith had packed it in after building 100 Mk I Boogies, I guarantee that we'd be having this discussion about his stuff (or even 100 Tremoverbs). Since anyone can own one, the mystique is a lot less.

12. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

SO here's my count from page 1 of the forum section today at 6:55 pm:

hiwatt 2
    anti-dumble 3
    axe-fx
    groove tubes
    bad cats
    two rock
    vox ac30 2
    egnater
    gries
    traynor
    tweed fender
    digitech
    pro-Dumble
    orange
    Dr z
    marshall 2
    VHT/Budda
    Carol Ann
    Spider

Doesn't look so Dumbly/Trainwrecky to me.

13. FFTT

FFTT Member

I think the general idea is that you don't have to be super rich to afford
    a fine hand built amplifier.

These builders have inspired a new trend in responsiveness, quality control and tonal flexibility, but you do not need to spend $30,000.00 plus to get great tone.

As always, each player tends to want the same gear that their favorite artist uses and that fuels a multi-billion dollar gear industry.

The real magic comes from working with a quality builder who knows how to voice the amp to your playing style and your favorite guitars.

14. dspblues

dspblues Member

You are my hero! I've been saying the same thing for months. At the prices you're paying these days you should be talking to the builder and telling him what gear you're playing, your style, etc ... so you get exactly what you want.

15. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Yes I paid $850 for my original Express "back in the day" and less than $4k for my old LP. These days for "live use" I have a decent Gibson historic LP and a couple of ultra nice clones of my original Express that I built myself for around a grand each. These "repro" pieces come close to the real deal tone, but most folks would probably rather hear the real deal anyway and that is what is on my CD and in my clips and videos.

My videos and clips are not to show off valuable pieces and down play less valuable stuff. Heck I paid more for my "new" Historic LP than I did for my old LP and Wreck combined. I just happened to have bought this stuff way back when and still use the stuff to this day, albiet rarely on stage anymore. If it all brings a little more attention to my original music and CD I don't mind that at all especially since that was not the intention at all when I bought the gear. Heck back in the early 90s folks would make fun of my funny looking "Trainwreck" amp, at least until they heard it.

That said, ANY angle helps in the music biz...

GK
    www.myspace.com/glenkuykendall

16. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

To be honest, I'm glad you have given us a source to hear that kind of thing.

17. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I have been reading things here on TGP for over a year. I have read many threads about Dumbles etc. Not once have I EVER felt inferior to anyone who does own one. Sounds like a personal issue to me. I just keep rockin' away on the amp I have because I love the amp I have.

18. Cvt

Cvt Member

I agree with Geetarpicker. I think if anything the vintage Fender/Marshall thing is done to death and there are a billion sources of information about those amps. I was glad to find the info on Trainwrecks here because if you look anywhere else there is nothing....same with Dumble. I had a chance to play an Express and I will tell you they are worth talking about. Yes the price for an original is ridiculous but find another amp builder that does not think Ken Fisher was a guru. I hope these threads keep his legacy aive and one day we can all have the chance to buy an accepted and accurate clone if similar quality and sound.

19. martyhk0

martyhk0 Member

Hey, Trainwrecks and Dumbles are GREAT amps.

I think what pisses people off is that they cost way too much money due to their rarity and in my opinion there is NO amp worth those kinda bucks.

But they are GREAT AMPS nonetheless. If you have played em, you know.:moon

20. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I for one am not angry about how much they cost. Too bad for me. I'll never probably ever play either one. Oh well. It certainly will not drive me to bitch about them or stop reading about them. These amps create awesome tone in the opinion of many. I am here to learn. Equation solved.