Gemini GV-22 - loud pop, now the thing sounds very quiet when playing

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by briangibson, Jul 30, 2006.

1. briangibson

briangibson Member

hey y'all. this morning I was fiddling with effects pedals when i heard a loud pop from the speakers, and now my guitar is very quiet through the amp- It sounds about speaking level when the amp is cranked to max volume. -it works, it's just very quiet. any idea what component coulda busted? Thanks,

Brian

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    If you haven't tried plugging directly into the amp, try that first.

3. briangibson

briangibson Member

first thing i did- no dice.
    brian

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    The are probably 100 posibilities, but tubes are a likely culprit and one of the few things you can try yourself.

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

loose or incompletely plugged in guitar cord...does it every time..maybe...check all the obvious connections and the ube sockets, which might need retensioning if they are loose.

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

If the amp has never been serviced,it could be a ruptured cathode bypass cap. A cold solder joint on one of these caps also causes this symptom.

7. briangibson

briangibson Member

it started doing it intermittently- i'd turn it on and it'd work great for 5 mins then get real quiet. i tightened up the tubes connections this afternoon and haven't had the problem again, keeping my fingers crossed... it has been serviced but it still has a lot of original caps/resistors. - thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it.

brian