Genelec 1030a's vs. Mackie 624

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by danhops, Sep 11, 2005.

1. danhops

danhops Member

I'm looking for opinions from those whom have tried both. I use 1031's at my job, and like them a lot. I a/b'd the 1030's with the 1031's a while back and I thought they sounded pretty darn good, but did lack bass which is to be expected. I did like the 624's in another room when I heard them, but have not used both speakers in the same space. Any one have any positive or negatives of one vs. the other?

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I had a pair of 1031As for years, and loved them.

I also use the Mackie HR624s a lot here, and I think they're actually easier to get a good mix on than the 1031s...believe it or not!

Just my two cents.

I've used the 1030s at other studios, but never loved them for some reason, might just be I didn't like the rooms they were in.

3. danhops

danhops Member

Going with the Mackies.

4. justicetones

justicetones Member

Danhops,

I am sure you might have made the purchase already. Just my two cents. I would agree with Les. I have mixed extensively on both the Genelecs and the Mackies at a commercial house. I found the Mackies very similar and a little less fatiguing on the ears. I got great mixes on both and if I was pressed I think I like the Mackies a little more. I feel the Genelecs are just a little to hot on the high end and a little to pretty sounding. At first I found that I was mixing with a slight false sense of security about the top end on the Genelecs. I am strongly considering the Mackies for my next home set up.

Just for the record the Dynaudio Bm6a and the Blue Sky 5.1 system (2 satellites and a sub) are the other contenders.

Chris

5. danhops

danhops Member

Thanks for the response Chris. I got a great deal on the Mackies so I had my guy order them.

6. justicetones

justicetones Member

Great. By the way the Genelecs are also overpriced in my opinion. That's what happens when they become one of the industry standards. You will be happy with the Mackies

Chris

7. danhops

danhops Member

I was gonna buy some used mint Genelecs for a bit more than the Mackies, but since I have used the Mackies in similar environments to my rig, and had great results, I figured it was a more sure thing.

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

U guys need to check out the new new gene 8030a.
    i never used to be a gene fan. too bright and somewhat flattering to certain kinds of music. the new ones are a totally different beast. same neutrality as my LS3/5a BBC monitors with a better stereo soundstage and i can hear deeper into the mix.

9. justicetones

justicetones Member

I would agree that the new Genelec 8030's seem to translate better than previous generation Genelecs. I just worked on them this week tracking for 8hrs. No fatigue to my ears. Lord thank you....

Chris

10. elambo

elambo Member

It's bizarre to me when I keep seeing comments about Genelecs and fatigue. NS-10s, yes, but of all the people I know who use Genelecs (1031s mostly) fatigue has never been mentioned, at least not to me.

I wonder how loud the average fatigued Genelec listener has these running that it would become a problem? Just adding a few db to the listening level decreases "safe" listening time by a substantial margin.

11. justicetones

justicetones Member

elambo

I agree NS-10's were the worst for fatigue. I should have thought a little more about why I sometimes find the Genelecs more tiring than the Mackies. What I now encounter is people that very poorly record their tracks and eq or compress to much in the recording process trying to save a buck but not knowing what they are doing. Then I have to deal with their mistakes in overdubs, vocals and mixing. Because of the great detail of the genelecs and mackies all of that distortion and high end stuff just gets to you. I am sure other pros out there have had to deal with the same things I describe. On the whole I like the Genelecs even though I think they are overpriced and sound a litlle decieving in the high freq. I also like the Mackies and have found them extermely similar to the Genelecs. On the other hand I could go a lifetime and never miss the NS-10's at all. On that note I think I will sell my NS-10's finally. They hurt.:)

Chris