General Amp Question - Friedman Smallbox

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bbe_rev, Apr 20, 2016.

1. bbe_rev

bbe_rev Member

I've got a Friedman Smallbox, probably 18 months old, I purchased it new. Works fine, sounds normal, but recently it's developed an odd noise. When the amp is on, and standby is off, (ready to play), guitar volume off, it makes a wooshing noise, sounds like wind blowing, it is intermittent, but consistent. Seems to go away when playing, it's just between songs, sounds like a light wind storm.

Any ideas, tubes I'm hoping, pre-amp tubes, power tubes?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

Almost certainly tubes. Test the preamp tubes first. Get a known good one and replace it, starting with V1. Then go down the line. If it's not a preamp tube. The replace the power tubes (possible but less likely since there is no power loss, flubbier bass, etc).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. bbe_rev

bbe_rev Member

Super, thank you! I'll give it a go.

4. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

If it doesn't happen to be the tubes (which it almost certainly is) it could be the screen grid resistors. I've had 2 amps have screen grid resistors go out and the early symptoms were almost similar to a tube going out. In that case you would need to send it in for repair.

5. browns fan

browns fan Member

I would send a message to Dave Friedman and get his opinion. He is really on his customer service!

6. bbe_rev

bbe_rev Member

Thanks guys, I swapped out the 3 preamp tubes yesterday, it seemed to help, the noise is still there, but it's less severe, and not as regular. I'll try the power tubes next.