General characteristics of cathode bias vs fixed bias?

CitizenCain

In a given amplifier design, what would be the general differences you could expect converting from fixed bias to cathode bias?

Free

• In cathode-bias the signal is instantaneously amplified, because the tube does not have to "wake up” from a less than full operational state of fixed-bias. So, it makes for an amp that has a certian tonal-richness at all volumes, as well as, being very touch-responsive.
  • There is not as much headroom as fixed-bias because of the lower plate voltages used in cathode-bias, so it can be a virtue for players depending on amp output stage overdrive, with smoother transitioning from clean to crunch.
  • A fixed-bias amp will generally have more headroom and wattage with the same circuit topology, as well as a tighter bass response, all factors due to greater voltage getting to the tubes during conduction.

CitizenCain

Thanks, Free! Just the type of info I was looking for. Sounds like cathode bias is worth an experiment in my project amp :D That's exactly the type of behavior I'd like to get from an amp.

CitizenCain

And that changing bias on the cathode biased setup is what gives the amp that squishier, lively feel?

I gotta try this out!

Free

And that changing bias on the cathode biased setup is what gives the amp that squishier, lively feel?

I gotta try this out!

Essentially. In general that varying voltage (as well as lower voltages in general) is what gives "class A"-type cathode-bias amps such "lively" touch sensitivity and smooth transition into overdrive. That general compression ("squish") has to do with the lower voltages (compared to fixed-bias) going to the tube plates in cathode bias. Higher voltages (i.e. fixed-bias) give an amp more wattage, headroom and bass-response (generally), among other things.

-Mike

Trending Topics

Top Bottom