1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

General help w/ pickup installation, etc.-need help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mvd18969, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I have a couple of guitars that need some electronics work. As we're all feeling the pinch in today's economy, I'd like to attempt some of this work myself. I have all of the tools and I am pretty good with a soldering gun. I just don't know the electronics theory behind it.
    Specifically, I have an 80s Kramer (1 humbucker, volume pot) that I would like to replace the pickup (I have a Mighty Mite HB ready to go), volume pot, and install a coil tap switch (no switch currently). Is there an online resource or anything available for a novice at this? I can't imagine it would be that difficult. any help would be appreciated!!!

2. K-man

K-man Member

3. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

4. K-man

K-man Member

I think you want the "1 humbucker, 1 volume, split" schematic.

5. Jerry

Jerry Supporting Member

Is the MM pup a new pickup, 4 conductor wiring ? Here's a wiring diagram for Dimarzio pups.

http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf

Duncan and Dimarzio pups all use black,red,green,white wiring but they aren't wired up the same. Even though you're only using 1 pup, you still need to know what the wires represent so that you can get it right the first time.

Have fun,good luck with it!

6. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Yes, the Mighty Mite pickup (motherbucker) is new; won it on ebay for less than $20 w/ shipping. It came w/ a wiring schematic that is not real easy to interpret. I'm hoping that the color coding is similar to Duncan or DiMarzio. Just waiting for the mini toggle and volume pot to arrive and let the games begin!