General mA ratings for pedals..?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by erksin, Feb 15, 2006.

1. erksin

erksin Member

Guys -

I'm having a hard time finding the mA ratings of a few of my boxes (I'm running a One Spot 1000mA and daisy-chaining 8 effects).

So far, I've only been able to confirm my DLS Chorus~Vibe (200mA), StroboStomp (80mA), and Axess BS-2 (25mA).

I still need info on:

Tonefactor Hellbilly
    MI Audio Blue Boy
    Cochrane Timmy
    Antelope Morning Dew EQ
    Arion SAD-1

I think most of the dirt boxes will be low draw units, but the SAD-1 will probably be up there with the DLS, no? If so, I might go over the maximum mA rating on the One Spot.

Can anybody help me with ma ratings on these remaining pedals, please..?

Also, anybody know where to get additional daisy chains for the One Spot?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

All I know is that most battery powered effects are 30ma.

PS, ya gotta try a skreddy screwdriver ;)

3. dczay

dczay Gold Supporting Member

Per Brian from Antelope, the current draw on the Morning Dew is 32ma.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Thanks guys...

Per Michael at MI, the Blue Boy only draws 5mA - I wonder if this holds true for most dirt boxes? I know modulation pedals can pull MUCH more. The one I'm most concerned about is the Arion SAD-1 Analog Delay - can't find any info on it at all...

5. erksin

erksin Member

The Screwdriver sounds like a cool box, and could maybe give my Hellbilly a run for it's money - but I LOVE the HB in Treble Booster mode (never use the Fuzz side) - the Skreddy doesn't do that, right? I never use the HB by itself, always run it into the Timmy - maybe the Screwdriver stands better on it's own as an overdrive than the HB?

The only other dirt box I'm really wanting to try right now is the Throbak ODB - the clips are killing me!

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If you have (if not, go out an buy one from radio shack) a cheapie digital volt-ohm-ammeter you can easily, and WAY more accurately by the way, check it yourself.

You can figure out how to do it with a DC power supply lead, but you have to jury rig it, so I'll just mention the ones that take batteries.

If a nine-volt battery, all you do is get the battery still connected, outside the case, take off the battery connector and put back on with ONLY the negative side on. Leave the positive side not connected. This works best with a "lead clip" like alligator clip on the one side, but if you are adept you can do it freestyle...all you do is, put the DMM to amperes, highest setting, then put the red lead on the positive battery terminal, the black lead on the battery clip it would go into. Turn the unit on..(may need an extra hand) and record what you read.

It's that simple.

There was a site I found that had done this with several pedals, and had made a chart of their findings...in almost all (if not all) cases the real current draw was less than rated. Also, it was pointed out, you don't have to actuall use the pedal, just turning it on is enough.

7. cosmos

cosmos Member

8. marrelero

marrelero Member

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah...that was the link I remember. Problem is, it mostly has the big name (Boss, Ibanez, etc.) pedals listed. There is an "other pedals" category, but I didn't see mention of the ones the original poster was interested in. Still, it is a great page, and they also have a comparison matrix for a LOT of power supplies along with comments...excellent pages.

And in there is a better description than I gave of how to measure for yourself (really the BEST way, because the pedals can differ, and they often do from spec, but also in practice can vary in the same model even).

One point, I think all guitarists ought to have at least a cheapie Digital Multi Meter. It comes in handy for checking things like this, for continuity testing (cables, pickups, speakers, etc.), for checking power supply outputs (you can't see "ripple" with it but can tell if it is sagging...or over voltaged or under), check if there is voltage between microphone and guitar (nice to know before putting lips up to a possible deadly voltage difference) and just generally is really important to have. When you need one, nothing else will do.

The measuring of the amperage is just incredibly easy. Takes all of a minute...and then you KNOW. Another excellent thing is, if you do make a list and measure, later one if a pedal develops problems, it is one check you can make to see if the pedal is "drawing" more or less than it used to.
    Can help in troubleshooting.

10. Yek

Yek Member

Ehmm, not true. Many analog pedals only require between 2 and 20 mA.
    Digital pedals typically need much more.

11. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

oh, cool. I was just searching the web and in one of either godlyke or one spots ads it said that info... Sorry for the mis info :jo

12. erksin

erksin Member

You guys rock - thanks!

13. erksin

erksin Member

FYI - per Brad at Tonefactor, the Hellbilly only draws around 5-8mA...

Looks like I'll have plenty of room, even if the SAD-1 draws a couple hundred mA.

Thanks again everyone!

14. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

First off, thanks for the kind words about my site. Yes, it mostly has the bigger name pedals, but it doesn't have to be that way forever... ;) The whole point of the power list is to have people contribute their own measurements, so get yourself a multimeter and start measuring. Like StompBoxBlues said, getting to know how a meter works can really help you in the future.

Now, back to the regular programming... most analog pedals will draw between 3 and 35-40mA tops, so even if you don't know the exact figure, you can always make an educated guess. Digital pedals (delays etc) usually take around 35-60mA, with the odd one using a fair bit more (the Digidelay uses at least 150mA, the DD-20 about 165 IIRC, and the E-H Holy Grail clocks in at 225mA). But for the most part, you'll get quite far with the following baseline figures:

Overdrive/distortion (analog): 5-15mA
    Analog chorus/phaser/flanger: 10-25mA
    Analog delay: 20-40mA
    "simple" digital pedals (no models, just a plain delay/chorus etc): 40-60mA
    "advanced" digital pedals: 65mA and up

/Andreas