General MIDI question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Mike M, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M Member

I have a Yamaha keyboard with a USB connection. I was curious if I can use this keyboard with Pro tools and Mbox. It does not have any standard MIDI connectors, just a USB. I am unsure if I have to buy another MIDI keyboard. Any info would help.

Thanks

2. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I don't know about your Yamaha keyboard specifically, but my M-Audio keyboard has only a USB connector and I use it as a midi controller. Can you look to the Yamaha site for a manual for your keyboard to look this up?

3. rosscoep

rosscoep Member

My novation has usb and it works fine for PT.

4. Mike M

Mike M Member

Not much information in the manual. So for PT, The Mbox has only one USB input on the back. Do you connect the keyboard to the back of the Mbox, or do you connect it to the USB port on your computer? Sorry for dumb questions, but just entering into the PT thing.

5. Scotty J

Scotty J Member

I use one, what I do is use SONAR to send the midi programmed parts of the song to my Yamaha Keyboard, then I use the line out/headphones out to the two inputs on my interface. From there, I have those inputs armed to record in SONAR (you could do the same thing with Pro Tools or any other sequencer). So basically what I'm doing is taking the MIDI information, using my Yamaha to convert it to audio, then looping it back into my DAW to track it.

USB ports are in parallel, so it doesn't really matter where you plug them in. I typically just use the USB ports in the front of my DAW.