General questions about Dumble, Two-Rock, Fuchs, and Bludotone...

Dave_C

Black face amps cleaning up poorly? :crazy

At Ultrasound we did a specific test with a Trainwreck Express, Komet 60 watt, Bogner Shiva, TwoRock Opal and E.Pro, Dumble overdrive special a Dr Z of some sort and Peavy Classic 50. We cranked the amps up, and dialed back on the guitars volume to see if the Trainwreck actually cleaned up as good as some people claim. What we found, was all the amps were extremely similar. What matters is the amount of gain that is dialed in, or the amp naturally has if its a Non MV amp. The amp with the least amount of gain, almost always cleaned up the nicest. There was no amp that did it better than any other. The guitar and pups make a bigger difference, especially in the amount of high end loss you achieve.
I tend to agree with this. The high end amps all clean up pretty nicely. There are exceptions. I owned an Engl SE once which did NOT clean up well in most of its channels. The second channel was not bad at it, but still not as good as most "boutique" amps or even low end NMV amps turned up to get some output distortion.

Dave_C

We have different findings which is fine. Channel switcher or not, I found it was the amount of gain that was dialed in. Channel switching had nothing to do with it. The lower the gain, the better it cleand up. Trainwrecks have no where NEAR the amount of gain of a Dumble, so to make an apples to apples comparison, you have to dial in an aprox. equal amount of gain on the Dumble. (since you have no option on the Trainwreck.) Once you do this, my finding was whether it be the PV classic 30, Tworock, Dumble, Trainwreck or whatever, all things wre about equal. Once you dial in double the gain on one amp (regardless of what it is) and compare it to one with 1/2 the gain, of course it is not going to clean up as well.
Agree again.

Trending Topics