General thoughts on Texas Specials?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SlinkyMan, Sep 17, 2005.

1. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

What is the general thoughts on Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials around here? I might grab some to put in my Strat, because I need a little more punch/beef in the middle and bridge positions.

Thanks, Matt

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Harsh.

I persevered with these things for years by having them as low as possible (in the body), in the end I gave up and swapped them out for Fralin Vintage Hots. I still don't understand why Knopfler selected them for his signature.....

Best, Pete.

3. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

I dig the hell out of them. Have had Texas Specials in the neck and middle positions of my main gigging Tele since 1998.

4. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

+1

I hated them. Midrangy and harsh would be my description.

5. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I love 'em! Yes, they're harsh and midrangey and that's exactly what I like about them. I've got them in two Strats. I play on the neck pickup 99% of the time and they seem to have a little more sizzle on the top end (in the neck position) that makes the sound really "in your face." Probably not for everybody, but they are near perfect for my style. They cut right through, especially with a Super Reverb or an AC-30 cranked. They're not mellow at all, so if that's what you need look elsewhere.

6. erksin

erksin Member

They're okay IMO. I had them in a Strat for about 9-10 years, finally got tired of the tone and the horrendous string pull from the neck pup.

7. SlinkyMan

SlinkyMan Member

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I'm looking for something with a lot of punch, and warm, but can still wail in the bridge position. Perhaps the Fender Fat 50's?

8. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Fralin Blues Specials w/base plate for bridge pickup.

9. Rama

Rama Member

I've used them but never was too crazy about them...not bell-like enough for me and that's what I'm after if I grab a strat. If a strat was my only guitar, then maybe so.