1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Generalizations about plate size

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by alanfc, Apr 15, 2005.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

hi all-

With "Long plate"/"Short plate" in preamp tubes-

what are some generalizations you can point out about the differences?
    I only hear that "long plate=more microphonic".

Can someone help describe these two types? The what/why and the valid-invalid arguements for and against?
    Thanks alot

2. rooster

rooster Member

I think the only generalization you can make is that the longer plates have more potential for microphonics, as there is more mass and surface to rattle. Other than that, I don't think there really are any that are directly related to JUST the size of the plate.

rooster.

3. alanfc

alanfc Member

thank you- actually that point about surface area makes alot of sense, now I know why

4. rooster

rooster Member

Don't get me wrong - some long plates are warm as toast, some are bright with TONS of gain, some are dead-sounding. There are many factors that determine the sound of the tube, and, as we know, that varies not just from brand to brand, but tube to tube.

Having said this, the new ECC803S's from JJ have a very nice chimey top end, and the mids and bass are as good as the original JJ ECC83S. But, there are very nice short plate tubes as well, the RFT's come to mind.

rooster.

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

Yes I have a NOS E.German RFT in V1 in my Rivera and the amp was transformed ! Was able to go with a lower setting on the channel/gain knob and get more punch and detail. I've done alot of swapping and buying but I'm going to start hoarding these RFT's for sure.