generic 1/4" adapters for speaker cable use?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Boogs, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Boogs

Boogs Member

I really want to get a couple of single 1/4" male-to-dual 1/4" female adapters to use for running two cables from a single output, but no one seems to have "speaker-quality" adapters...or anything listed as such. I emailed the guy from Bayou Cables, and asked for a quote for a custom adapter, but he said he couldn't do it.

Would I damage my amp or affect tone by using a "generic" single 1/4"-to-dual 1/4" adapter from Mojotone, or would it make no difference at all?

Thanks guys!

David

2. devbro

devbro Member

I don't think the jacks are the issue. The real question is impedence of the amp vs. speakers. I beleive if you connect (2) 8 ohm cabinets via a "y" connector you now have a 4 ohm load. It's not good to put a 4 ohm load against an amp looking for 8 ohms.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Doubt it would hurt anything as long as you match the impedence correctly. Sound quality might be an issue but I doubt even that.

4. Boogs

Boogs Member

The impedances will be correct (impedance of each cable [16 ohms] divided by two because of the resultant parallel wiring [=8 ohms]), but I just hesitate to use anything in the speaker signal path that's not labelled for speaker use...

Thanks for the responses so far!

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

If your really worried about it you can make a "custom " Y cable.

6. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Having created a few Y cables for audio I know what he's talking about. Its probably a good idea to make a small junction box with 3 sockets on it.

7. Boogs

Boogs Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated.