1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Generic ext. speaker wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by YBA-James, Feb 10, 2019.

1. YBA-James

YBA-James Member

I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but I just can't wrap my head around this one - which is kind of hilarious as I spotted errors in the bias circuit no problem. :D I don't know what it is about switches and jacks...

The amp is new to me, a mid-late '70s Traynor YGM-3 combo amp. It's in good cosmetic shape but has been hacked up a bit.

The wiring to the ext. speaker out is all wrong. Nothing goes to the switch lug, so the output jack is basically a terminal as of now.

Can anyone help, and tell me which wires need to go where? Obviously there's the 2 speakers wires, the 2 OT wires (black and green), and a separate ground and NFB loop wire.

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Is this the only speaker jack then? Otherwise things appear to be hooked up as they should be: NFB wire, one speaker wire, and the green from the OT secondary going to the tip, and a ground, a speaker wire, and the OT secondary black wire going to the sleeve. As you mentioned, you might expect to see a wire connecting the tip shunt switch to ground, to ground the secondary if no speaker is plugged in...

Steppin' Wolfe likes this.
  3. YBA-James

YBA-James Member

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. It's a combo amp with a speaker, and this jack, being the only speaker out, should disable that speaker for use with an external cab. At the moment, it does absolutely nothing.

Cool little amp though. Has a Revisit replacement reverb tank, and an Eminence Legend speaker. Haven't had the chance to turn it up since I've gone through it. The bias pot was installed in the wrong place, the speaker was nearly falling out, and the reverb tank was not bolted down.

Jeff Gehring likes this.
  4. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

If you want it to work such that the internal speaker is connected when NO plug is plugged into the ext speaker jack, and such that the internal speaker is disconnected when something IS plugged into the ext speaker jack, you could wire it up this way:

[​IMG]

YBA-James and Steppin' Wolfe like this.
  5. Steppin' Wolfe

Steppin' Wolfe Member

Hmmm....the schematics don’t show any auxiliary speaker jack of ny kind.
    https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/files/Traynor/Traynor_guitarmate_ygm3.pdf

If the green OT secondary wire is connected to the tip lug, then that jack should work as a parallel extension speaker jack as it is wired now, it seems to me. Are you saying that this jack really doesn’t do anything? Have you checked the lug contacts with a meter?

YBA-James likes this.
  6. YBA-James

YBA-James Member

Jeff, you're on the money. Thank you!

This is a later 70s model from what I can tell, and even the schematic printed under the hood isn't quite correct.
    When I plugged my 4x12 into it, the sound continued only in the built in speaker, and not the 4x12. Reading what you're saying makes sense though... It should currently act as a parallel out, right? I did test the lugs but really only checked continuity on the one that isn't used, and manually pressed down the tip to make sure it was still functioning properly.