Genisis going on tour.

Algebraist

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I don't get it.

They're all alive. They all get along. They're all capable of touring. Come on, bring back Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel.

Boston617

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
I have to return some video tapes.

John Hurtt

Gold Supporting Member
I'm a huge fan of the "pop" Genesis lineup. Including Gabriel and Hacket would involve either dumping most of the bands hits and concentrating on the older material. While some fans of the older material would be excited, your average Genesis fan probably wants to hear the radio hits.

Bob Womack

I listened to them in all their phases. People come and go. I'm fine with the ...And Then There Were Three lineup. In fact, I reviewed that album for my college's paper when it came out.

Bob

KHAN

Phil's voice was gone by the 2007 tour. Many songs tuned down a whole step or more. Last year he did a tour sitting on a chair, and his voice was barely a whisper. I can't see how this will go well. But, as a long time fan, I'll hope for the best.

BigBadOrange

Silver Supporting Member
Phil's voice was gone by the 2007 tour. Many songs tuned down a whole step or more. Last year he did a tour sitting on a chair, and his voice was barely a whisper. I can't see how this will go well. But, as a long time fan, I'll hope for the best.

ahhhh...so many old fogies have been touring I couldn't figure out why Genesis never did, this makes sense.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
i would have been disappointed if no one posted this.

Trending Topics