Gentlemen, I present my new Esquire

Curly

Gentlemen, I present my new Esquire :
  • Parts from Tommy Rosamond at USA Custom Guitars (lightweight ash body & Fat '54 neck)
  • Aztec Gold nitro finish by Mario @ Guitar Mill
  • Assembly & setup by Fred Marotta @ The Repair Zone, San Diego
  • Voodoo Broadcaster Pickup by Peter Florance, ~ 9K.
val-01.jpg

so far, it rocks thru my tweed amps!

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
When you put it on the "mud" tone select;turn the amp up!

Looks gorgeous!

Curly

thanks kindly, Gents, for the nice comments

I'll be testing this the next few days, but so far it sounds great.
Fred has built me a number of custom teles over the last few years, and they keep getting better and better.

When you put it on the "mud" tone select;turn the amp up!

Looks gorgeous!
thanks ... it actually sounds pretty decent on the front position, and yes, I did crank it :)
it's a little bright in the rear position, so I might check the cap value ...
but the pickup has what I look for in tone ... harmonics, and a vocal quality.

skeeterbuck

Great looking Esquire Curly.

Something about those bare bones single pickup guitars I think is attractive. My favorite Esquires are the custom models with the tri sunburst and binding.

What radius fretboard did you go with?

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
thanks kindly, Gents, for the nice comments

I'll be testing this the next few days, but so far it sounds great.
Fred has built me a number of custom teles over the last few years, and they keep getting better and better.

thanks ... it actually sounds pretty decent on the front position, and yes, I did crank it :)
it's a little bright in the rear position, so I might check the cap value ...
but the pickup has what I look for in tone ... harmonics, and a vocal quality.

The rear position should be out of the tone circuit completely---so there should be no cap involved, right? It is supposed to be bright. The middle position is where you have your tone knob action/preset, and you hit the rear position for a little more volume and cut when needed.

I removed the mud circuit from my front spot and put in a cap that gives me a notched wah sound---plus it has more volume. With gain, it sounds incredible. I actually find the stock front wiring useless. I forget what I put in there, but I got the details off this board.

Great looking guitar, BTW.

Curly

thanks again, Bros!
What radius fretboard did you go with?
thanks ... it's either 9.5 or 12" ... I can't remember ... I put a gauge on it last night, but I still couldn't tell with the strings on. :(
But, it's PERFECT for me.
The rear position should be out of the tone circuit completely---so there should be no cap involved, right? It is supposed to be bright. The middle position is where you have your tone knob action/preset, and you hit the rear position for a little more volume and cut when needed.

I removed the mud circuit from my front spot and put in a cap that gives me a notched wah sound---plus it has more volume. With gain, it sounds incredible.
yup, rear is wide open, mid is with the tone knob, and front is with a cap

I botched the wiring myself, trying to figure out reverse controls, plus I used the wrong schematic. doh! :(
anyway, Fred rewired it ... I thought he said he used an .02 cap (I usually use .05 for a regular tele), so I have to check that. The front has a cap/ resistor, and is a bit nasally, but sounds good CRANKED. :)

I have a little learning curve with an Esquire!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom