Genuine Dumble for sale at 25k, worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by heretic1357, Oct 19, 2008.

1. heretic1357

heretic1357 Member

Walked into a place called The Amp Shop (Sherman Oaks), he's got a Dumble Overdrive Special for sale at 25k. Played it, all I can say is "WOW"...to the sound, which is...beyond anything I've ever heard, and also...to the price which is way beyond anything I've ever seen. Although I seriously doubt I could convince the wife to let me take a 2nd mortgage out for this thing, I'm wondering if there is anything else out there that has that kind of sound. 15 minutes of pure tone heaven, and I'm hooked. So, what alternatives, if any?

2. realityczech

realityczech Senior Member

The search function is your friend .
    There is so much Dumble and Dumble related info on TGP it will make your head spin.

Good Luck!

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

No one can answer that question for you, but we can all answer it for ourselves. And for me, there's no way it's worth it.

4. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Offer them 20K...probably better investment than the market, if you have get your wife involved, family finances, well, I don't know then?...this should be your baby, your call. Sounds tempting...why hasn't some rock star bought it by now I wonder?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Keep telling yourself that.:rotflmao

6. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Brandon can nail it.:AOK
    www.bludotone.com

7. voodoosound

Agree!

Brandon or Gary build a (better) D in my opinion.

8. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

buy it before john mayer does...!

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

:agree

There are so many great sounding amps available today, I can't imagine paying that much for any amp.

You're buying the name on any amp but you really pay for it on a Dumble.

10. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

No.

Wouldn't it be better to have a vintage LP, Strat, Tele, Fender, Marshall, and Vox than one Dumble? Or $25k in the bank? It's just a guitar amp - no guitar amp is worth $25k. Just because some insane person will pay that for it doesn't mean YOU should.

11. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

You've played every Dumble out there (all custom built for the original buyer)?

12. wow.
    I've never played a dumble before, im tempted to go and play it for the hell of it.
    Is it in good shape?
    25K seems really cheap.
    Dont they normally go for 40K and up?

13. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Definitely go play it. But be 100% certain what it is before you think about buying it.

14. gtrs

gtrs Supporting Member

Lot's of great builder's doing a great D style amp, I've read about them here mostly. Plenty of good info to be had via the search function. But only you really know what your financial situation is. One thing is for sure, it'll be worth more in 10 years. I'm not a big fan of buying gear just as an investment, I would personally rather see the pieces be used as the builder intended. But no one can deny the temptation of possibly doubling your money in a relatively short period of time. As for tone, it's a tough call. I'd play a Brown Note, Carol-Ann, Bludotone, Fuchs and Two-Rock if I could before I dropped that much dinero on an amplifier. Especially if I wanted to gig with it.

15. karmadave

karmadave Member

If you have your heart set on owning a genuine Dumble then go for it. Otherwise, there are any number of great amp builders than can give you the same, or similar tones, at a fraction of the cost. That's my $.02...

-KD

16. voodoosound

Nope only about 14 to date inlcuding the 2 I currently own. Brandon or Gary have the same ability to tweak an amp to the player as many others. It's really not a magical thing with these amps. However, just because you read somewhere that every amp was built for a specific player does not make it so. There was a standard amp the Alex built for many customers. No discredit to Alex in anyway. Without his skill and knowledge no one else would have the Blueprints to do what he did. However, since Alex has somewhat rested on his laurels so to speak. Guys like Brandon, Gary, Alan, Moss, ETC. have picked up the torch and in some cases carried it to the next level.

Since I answered your question. Have YOU ever played a Dumble and compared it to any of the amps I mentioned or are you just trying to be contrary?

17. voodoosound

Sure. Some sound like Marshalls, some sound like twins with more midrange honk. Some are very smooth sounding and some very aggressive. Most could be set up to sound similar to another.

Most of the ones that had the same tube compliment and circuit sound pretty close. There were 5 of the 14 that sounded unique. 2 of them sounded unique because they did not live up to the reputations. I suspect because they had not been serviced in some time. The other 3 had different options usually not found on dumbles that I had seen like a dual boost, etc.

18. voodoosound

What's your point? If you are not familiar with these amps how are words going to narrow it down for you? If you are familiar then you would understand my descriptions.

19. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

20. voodoosound

What are you looking for? It sounded better than anything else out there or some other fluffed verbage?

THe fact of the matter that so many people get totally confused about and clearly you must be one fo them is "what the amp sounds like" is only half of it's attribute. Dumbles and Dumble style amps "FEEL" like no other when you play them.

So when you ask what does it sound like it's really a silly question. As I said if you were familiar with Dumble style amps you would realize that it can really sound like almost anything depending on the circuit, tube compliment, transformer.

Maybe, you should be more specific and ask me what the 100watt, 6l6, Music Man tranny with skyline eq sounds like.

Or maybe you should ask what an 100watt el34, HRM eith a Dynaco tranny sounds like.

Or maybe you should do a little more research and figure out exactly what you are trying to ask.