Genuine Question: What do you love/hate about youtube demos?

Glitch Magnet

I dislike when the demoer pays no mind to gain structure. Show me the effect at unity gain! It always sounds "better" when you punch in with the pedal set louder than the bypassed signal, so that's misleading. And cranking the input drive randomly without balancing the output correctly to maintain unity is misleading since the amp changes color as you hit it harder. I can't even bare to watch Brett Kingman demos for these reasons.

Last edited:

TCMx3

I get the no talking thing but I personally think a superior option is to put the demo first and then put a spoken summary at the end with some honest opinions (unless you're being sent things in which case just say that so I can understand you won't be saying anything negative). Coupled with Timestamps and you get the best of both worlds.

I hate "here's a clean sound" on an amp or guitar demo where it's some white guy playing "funk" poorly. First of all, let me hear the damn thing, second of all, they invariably suck at that kind of music. I'm grateful you are going to play some chords so do me a favor and dont strum a million times per second to where I can't heat note decay/harmonics and instead just get a bunch of note attack.

Obviously tune the guitar. Then keep tuning it. Then use a strobe. Then start recording.

Personally I think amps sound like garbage "on the edge of breakup". I'd rather hear demos with genuine clean sounds. If you are demoing a pedal for for pushing an edge of breakup amp or emulating that, well personally I'll just skip it so those demos are excluded.

I HATE when people only demo things in a mix. It is a lot easier for me to extrapolate how something will sound in a mix if I can hear everything going on than to try to imagine what Im losing under the cymbals.

IMO if gear is made to sound like a particular person's tone (e.g. one of the innumerable David Gilmour pedals) it's really cool to hear a cover of a song done with that gear.

If you sound like SRV I will turn your demo off immediately. There is no sound more tired on this Earth except maybe disco.

I think the minimum length for a useful demo would be about 1:30 of playing.

I really like when a demo demonstrates some clever musical taste. That's one of my favorite things about Mike Hermans.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
If the sound of the demo is such that I can hear the acoustic sound of the strings in the room as they are being strummed while also hearing the sound of the guitar through the amp, the demo is worthless.

I do not watch demos of guys with piercings (I skipped a recent That Pedal Show installment because of this.) I do not watch demos of bare feet. I do not watch demos done by people who dress in stupid and attention-getting ways. And I do not watch pedals with narration that's heavily larded with slang...

PS Stay off my lawn.

Instructional videos that don't even teach anything until halfway through the video. Yeah, it's really cool for you to show off your 1,000,000+ subscriber rockstar lifestyle on every video you make, but I want a reason why I clicked on your pathetic video.

**** - off.

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
My pet peeve is when the guitar rig used doesn't give a useful picture of the core pedal sound. The most common mistake is when a MIAB is played through a Marshall head and 4x12. Most of the time MIAB users are playing through a fender reverb combo or similar - that's why they're buying the pedal. Also it would be almost impossible for a MIAB to sound bad through a Marshall half stack so it's not useful.

ilyslue2

I think basic musicianship is important.....learn to tune your guitar, play with a proper beat.....I find that if the basics has to be covered, or I loose all the interest in the gear that is presented.....

klapaucjusz1

I hate "here's a clean sound" on an amp or guitar demo where it's some white guy playing "funk" poorly. First of all, let me hear the damn thing, second of all, they invariably suck at that kind of music.
How about we leave the race/ethnicity thing out of the discussion, shall we?

I like the demos by Mike Hermans. I've bought pedals after watching his videos, and have been very happy with them. (Weehbo Bastard, Strymon Mobius, & Empress Echosystem.)

Last edited:

gigs

Less talk, more play.

I like when their music room looks as cluttered as mine.

CGrisamore

WAY too much talkin!

(overexcited yelling) "HI GUYS!..I just wanted to share my thoughts about blah blah blah and yadda yadda yadda...)

I dislike it when people use their own specialized gear that nobody owns and nobody knows what it sounds like.. no reference. "Here is my custom built mahogany jazzmaster with handwound filtertron pickups, through a 'insert brand' copy of a Fender Deluxe with a tonetubby hemp cone speaker and my always on compressor.

I don't mind talking at all; in JustNick's case I find the talking sections just as interesting as the playing if not moreso, as he's got such a good ear and a way of explaining how a pedal works/what contexts in which it can work.

It's just cool to hear it explained by someone who plays a lot of music and has a handle on what they're doing.

Glitch Magnet

As long as we're naming names, I want to give some love to Shnobel. Well done videos with quick, useful, and informed dialog, good playing and solid run through of settings. Great head to head shootouts too. He doesn't give me all the answers, but offers a perfect jumping off point. With his demo as a reference, I usually know if I should dig deeper or move on.

Vhailor

Silver Supporting Member
I like the demos by Mike Hermans. I've bought pedals after watching his videos...
I have to disagree with this - I dislike his demos for more or less the same reason you like them: his demos have cost me too much money...

TCMx3

How about we leave the race/ethnicity thing out of the discussion, shall we?
how about we grow up and accept that correctly suggesting that people are bad at appropriating is not the same as general commentary on race?

especially when it's jokingly/friendly pointed at an overrepresented group that the commenter happens to belong to.

Topshelf Tone

I don't listen to my amp with my ear two inches from the speaker, and I hate demos where the source audio is a closed miced cab. I like hearing a little room in the mix.

I hate "here's a clean sound" on an amp or guitar demo where it's some white guy playing "funk" poorly. First of all, let me hear the damn thing, second of all, they invariably suck at that kind of music.
your racism aside your statement implies funk music isn't complete garbage. saying someone is good at funk music would be like saying someone is good at cancer- its just tragic, painful to experience, and ruins the lives of anyone involved.

I don't like all blues soloing, no rhythm demos.

I don't like or play blues. I don't like or play shred metal. So please, don't bother demoing pedals with these styles of music when a pedal is clearly not aimed at people playing this stuff.

If you play a part from Wilco, The Smiths, The War On Drugs, recent Ryan Adams, etc. then I'll have a much better idea of what it actually sounds like for the kind of music I play.

Mr2D

your racism aside your statement implies funk music isn't complete garbage. saying someone is good at funk music would be like saying someone is good at cancer- its just tragic, painful to experience, and ruins the lives of anyone involved.

I don't like all blues soloing, no rhythm demos.
This set from Niles Rogers and Chic are Glastonbury shows just how wrong you are.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ec584f/acts/acwfbp

Which I say as a geeky white guy who's music collection is 90% indie, alternative and grunge.

(Apologies if this a Poe)

Trending Topics