Genz Benz Black Pearl question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marshall Man, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I'm thinking about the combo version, what ground does the distortion on this amp cover? I'm generally playing Skynyrd to old-school Metallica. What are peoples thoughts on Genz Benz in general. Thanks

2. HEAVENandHELL

HEAVENandHELL Member

This amp rules but I've never heard it do old school Metallica. Others may have different experiences.

3. phatster

phatster Member

Its an extremely :Dversatile amp but not for metal.You should do a search and see the love!

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

It'll do old school metallica with a dirt pedal in front of it.

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Amp has tons of mids and voiced like a cranked AC30.

I don't really hear anything scooped or metal coming out of this amp let alone Metallica.

6. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

Check the Genz-Benz site and listen to the sound clips. Sounds exactly like mine. Awesome amp and amazingly built.

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

However, I would say that with the mids turned down, on the "deep" or even "bright" setting, and of course with the right dirt pedal, you could approximate early Metallica. That's not what the amp was made for of course...

But then the early Fenders weren't designed to be CRANKED... and look where that's gotten us!!:D

You'd definitely have to set the amp differently, which wouldn't bode well for the other tones (Skynyrd) you're looking for. Maybe a good distortion pedal would be in order...

8. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Thanks guys. I ordered one from MF and had them take two hundred off to match their sister site Music 123.

9. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

What version did you get? I have the 1x12 model and like others have said...this amp sounds great.

Doug

10. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I got the 1X12 coming. Anyone use this with a Hot Plate?

11. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

great amp, but not for metal. get a box of metal and you're set...

12. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I agree that this amp is not designed to do metal without extreme tone settings, or help from a pedal, or both. It does do a great old-school rock n roll tone...I can get a great AC-DC tone with a humbucker PRS SE...at very reasonable volumes.

John

13. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've used a Weber Mini-Mass and an Airbrake. This amp does NOT like to be attenuated, and sounds much better when using the half power switch and/or master volume. It's got a really good MV.

14. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I'm not going to be really using the amp for metal, mainly Skynyrd, Hatchet etc.

15. bynt

bynt Member

You're going to love it then. Just beware that they are HEAVY!!!! I've never played the 1x12 but the 2x12 is a beast!!! It made me wish for my old Twin. Dry joke. Seriously, it's just a great amp. I know a lot of people turn their noses up at GB because they got bought by Kaman or whatever but the Black Pearl is just a SMOKIN' amp IMHO. Congrats!!!!

Oh, and the folks a Genz Benz are awesome to deal with, too. They are super cool to chat with on the phone with any tech questions.

16. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I just traded my 1x12 for a 3x10, figuring the extra speakers would move more air and sound bigger. I seriously underestimated the effect on the weight. The 3x10 weighs 80 lbs, the most of any of the combos, and is an absolute bear to move. Even the 1x12 at 53 lbs is not particularly light. Lots of posters have talked about good build quality...they're very solidly built and the weight reflects that.

John

17. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Thanks for all the replies. How does the amp sound at 7 watts? That is good bedroom volume I would assume.

18. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

This couldn't be any more true. I cracked a post on an El Diablo volume pot, and Jeff Genzler HIMSELF answered the phone and sent me out a new pot at no charge.

19. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

All the best ones are... :)

20. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

7 watts is triode mode, which I don't care for much. However, at 15 watts (pentode mode) and using the MV you'll get very good sounds at bedroom volumes. Of all the amps I've owned over the years, the GB has the best MV I've played, and sounds great at low volumes.