Genz Benz cabs: any info or experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TubeStack, Dec 24, 2009.

1. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Looking at picking up a used Genz Benz Tribal 2x12 locally, to use with my Dr Z Remedy.

I'm wanting a smaller option available other than my slant Marshall 4x12 w/Greenbacks, which I love. I'm hoping this cab will be similar in general vibe to the Marshall/Greenback magic, ie warm with emphasized mids and sweet breakup, with the obvious differences of a 2x12 enclosure.

According to the GB online catalogue, the Tribals are made from 3/4 and 1/2 inch birch ply, come loaded with Eminence Private Jacks, and have a removable back panel. Seem pretty solid, to me. I like the black tolex and wheat grill (not crazy about the logo, though).

Anyone have any other info or experiences with these Genz Benz cabs? Any bad stories re. construction or general tone? I've heard the other "G-Flex" cabs are ported and too boomy/bassy (and mainly meant for "teh brutalz"? ;) ) Are these Tribal ones more of a 'classic' vibe?

Also, do the Private Jacks even break up at all? Their 50w rating suggests maybe not (but how could they be "Eminence's version of a Greenback" without some nice breakup?)

And has anyone tried to remove the logo from one of these cabs? I don't care about the Genz Benz name being displayed, but I'm not crazy about the font and look of it, doesn't gel with the Dr Z vibe. Would prefer it empty and clean (yes, I'm an anal fuss-pot LOL).

[​IMG]

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

No experience with that particular cab but I have a G-Flex 2x12 and though I think the cab is nicely made, the speakers and tone of the cab is not all that good IMO.

That said . . the El Diablo through a open back cab w/Greenbacks is flat out fantastic.

3. TubeStack

From what I've read (which isn't much), the Flex is a pretty different cab than the Tribal series. The latter more traditional and less brew-tal. :) Speakers are totally different, too.

4. TubeStack

Seems Genz was pretty well known for cabinet making and that's all they did before getting into amps, etc?

5. TubeStack

It's remarkable how little experience anyone seems to have with these cabs, anywhere.

I'm probably going to pick this used one up tomorrow - will report back if I get a chance.

6. mmcdonald2khome

mmcdonald2khome Member

I have used genz benz g-flex 2 x 12 cabs with my Peavey 5150 for many years. I love the low end bass it puts off because of the porting. Very good for metal. I just sold my 5150 last week. I'm looking to sell my two g-flex cabs if anyone is interested. Send me an email and I can send you the information and pix. I'm asking $450 for each of them. I can split them up. Together they make the ultimate half stack.

Here are some pix of them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]