Genz Benz El Diablo 60 players (past and present) - likes and dislikes please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vbf, Jan 21, 2012.

1. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Hi guys, I'm being offered a Genz Benz Diablo 60 Head and 2x12 cab. I've done a lot of searching and found mixed reviews, although all the vids I've watched leave me impressed with the amp's tones. I'm a praise and worship player and will use amp outside of church, likely on the 30W setting. I won't use it for heavy metal tones but def like the the low to medium gain Marshally tones. I'll also use the clean channel a lot with various overdrives and curious how well it takes pedals. Lastly, has anyone used the unbalanced out to a DI? I'm really interested in reading what past and present owners of the amp like and dislike about it. Thanks!!!

2. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

3. jsgregg

jsgregg Member

Hehe....you can't take that amp to church....El Diablo = Devil:Devil

4. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Opinions on this amp are pretty polarized.
    Its a weird amp to EQ, its an active tone stack.
    I thought cleans were good and did nice high gain.
    Didnt use it with pedals.
    Seems built like a tank.

5. Dale

Dale Member

I had the 60w combo for years. It is a great amp with a good voice that is able to do a lot of things. The active eq are what causes the multiple negative reactions. It is not quite Marshall, Mesa, 5150 or Fender though it cops those tones closely. This too gives many of the dislikes I think. The combo was just too heavy to move around a lot for me. It is a well built and great amp. I think it is continually underrated. It is a tweaker amp though, and you really have to understand eq's to get it to work for you. If a head came along that was priced right I would jump on it.

6. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

I'll just tape over the name. :)

It's being offered for $300...is that a good price?

7. jsgregg

jsgregg Member

I tried the head out once at Sam Ash. They had it on clearance for $700. It seems like $300 for the head and a 212 cabinet is a GREAT deal....IF....you like the tone. You could certainly get your money back out of it if you don't really mesh.

8. Gclef

Gclef Member

Great amp! I have the 100w head and the 60w combo. What everyone said above is true.
    I will add this though. They only come into their own at higher volumes. The master has to be aboveboard' 3 and the channel vol has to be pretty high for best results.
    It gets way more dynamic as the volume goes up too.

Also, they are picky regarding what style of cabinet you run it through. I didn't like the gflex much ( i seem to be in the minority here), too muddy.
    I am currently using a 2x12 open back cab with WGS et65s with the head, with good results. The combo is stock and i like it as it is.

That is an awesome deal. I got my head for $500 lightly used, and the combo new for $600.

9. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

I had the 60wt combo as well.... I hated the Ruby EL34 tubes in it, swapped them for some 6L6 GT's and LOVED it!! Nice clean tone (much better than the Dual Recto) and believe it or not, a tighter distortion. I liked the mids for leads, but as a rhythm it was a bit much. It's been 5 or 6 years since I had mine, so my memory is a little foggy, so it could have just been my settings. It sounded like a high gain Marshall to me, with some Boogie Recto mixed in (just a little).

10. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Great info, guys, thanks! The seller is offering the head only for $300 but I'm thinking it's not for me having listened to several more vids. I had a Mesa and didn't care for it enough and the Genz has some of that tone.

11. Gclef

Gclef Member

Play it if you can dude! A genz doesn't sound exactly like anything. It blurs the line between Marshall, mesa, and fender nicely.
    You might like it.

I think they excel at all but the heaviest of heavy metal. Which is kinda mesa's stock in trade.

They take pedals like a champ too!

12. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Here's what mine sounded like with a Peavey Wolfgang. Excuse the slop.

1x12 combo w/6L6's

With lead
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/tele_jas/genz-benz-el-diablo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Without lead
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/tele_jas/genz-benz-rhythm-only[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  13. paulsroland

paulsroland Member

I have the El Diablo 60 head connected to a Lopo 2x12 closed cab loaded with V30s. I use a 8 ohm THD hotplate on the -12 db setting and have the tube type switch on the amp set to the 30 watt mode. I have the master volume set about 6 or 7. With With these setting the hot channel is very dynamic with smooth power tube breakup and nicely controlled feedback.

With it setup like this it is hard to get really a clean tone on the warm channel, but it is very acceptable. I also have the HD500/DT50 head setup and have been gigging with it. I recently started using the El Diablo again and have been very happy with the sounds I'm getting out of it. You just have to push it hard with an attenuator to get the singing kind of tones out of it.

I am using the cabinet simulated DI to our PA system. It sounds great. My other band guitarist really likes the tone coming through the PA. We have the JBL SRX dual 15 and dual 18 cabinets for FOH.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  14. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

More helpful info, you guys are the best! tele jas, those tracks sounded pretty good. :aok

15. hanales

hanales Member

I'll pile on on the no brainer at 300$ club. I had the 100 head for a long time, and it was incredibly versatile. The active tone stack makes it more difficult to dial in, but boy its sweet when you do. I actually ran mine through an avatar 2x12 bass cab and it was huge sounding.

16. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

The seller decided not to sell it, dang it. But that's OK, I learned a lot from you awesome folks! Thanks again!!!

17. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Well, that sucks! Sorry to hear that... I know what it's like to get the rug pulled out from under you.

18. overunderdrive

overunderdrive Senior Member

I briefly owned the 60w combo.

The cleans are very clean--almost too clean. massive headroom but not a lot of character or harmonic content. kind of sterile and one-dimensional, but LOUD.

the dirty channel is all or nothing. if you like high gain, I think it sounds pretty good. as good as a Mesa? probably not.

but there are no 'in-between' sounds in this amp...no usable ones, anyway. I tried like hell to get some mildly broken up tones, but they are just not in there. they just sound grainy and lame.

IMHO, YMMV...of course.

Now the BP30, that's another story entirely.

19. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

I know you didn't get it but I will put in my two cents as my backup to my Budda is the El Diablo 100 head.

The El Diablo as previously stated is a finicky amp to dial in and you have to get used to the active eq. IMHO the amp sounds "right" with 6l6gc's as the mids are just too strong with el34's for rythm work. It does need to be fairly loud to sound good or run a volume box in the loop like I do to open it up some. With a tube screamer up front this amp will cover anything from a killer Fenderish clean, blues breakup, classic rock to modern metal. It has enough gain on it's own for most of that but this amp really, really likes a boost. Build quality is great as well and Jeff Genzler is about as good as it gets for hands on customer service too.

Overall a killer amp that doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves.