George Dennis GD 20 optical volume pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fatcat, May 15, 2008.

1. fatcat

fatcat Senior Member

Not much talk here about George Dennis gear. I've been using a morley little Alligator optical vol. for the last year or so. Yeah its a cheap pos but worked ok for a while. When it quit on me like a tight wad i ordered another. Got it and the darn thing wouldn't hit any sound till pushed about half way down "out of here!" I like the ideal of the potless and the only others i could find was the GD 20 the hilton and goodrich. The george Dennis was 130.00 and had the guitar players pick award out of 4 or 5 others. The others were in the 2-300.00 range.
    I got the gd20 today and found it to be pretty good. With a smooth travel from top to bottom and the volume increases very smoothly threw out the whole travel path. In the pedal chain its after the overdrives.
    Here at tgp you always hear the same old same old stuff.
    This GDennis has alot of stuff out there. Has Anybody Else checked out some of his other stuff?

2. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

Looks like a good design, wish it had a tuner out.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Is it high or low Z, active, passive? Being optical, I'm assuming it needs power. Any high-end loss? Have you ever owned the EB to compare?

4. fatcat

fatcat Senior Member

Never owned a ernie ball. The GD 20 has no tone suck that i can hear and being its active i'd say low Z. looks very well built. Looks like it would be a pain to velcro to your board tho. Most pedals you see these dayz have the stick on feet well this one doesn't. Their like sloted and push in a little hole and once their in their in and would probably tear the rubber if you tryed to get them out. instead of a plastic cover for the battery it rubber that slides to the side and its connected the same way. No big deal i'll just disconnect and keep it in the box in my gig bag. It looks like if you wanted too you could make a L bracket and use 2 screws to connect to your board. there's 4 already on the side of the pedal that holds the bottom on. so it looks like a easy project. I don't use it first in line so i'm not sure how good it is for doing swells. For volume control after my ods its the smoothest i've used to date. Its also alot smaller foot print than the morley. the base is 7 7/8 L 3 7/8 W you can power it with any Boss type adapter

5. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I am looking at one of these now too. I had an EB that sucked tone badly. I have had pots go bad on both EB's and Goodrich's now, so I am done with pots. An active, potless, non-tone sucking, smooth action, volume pedal, especially with a min volume control would be nice. Not a necessity, but nice. Would have to work well after my fuzzes. $130 I'll spend, $250 I won't. I don't need a tuner output. Might have to give one of these a try.

6. ari

ari Member

I have a volume/parametric wah, and I used to own their mono volume pedal. Both worked like a charm. No tone suck. The wah's not exactly "traditional" sounding especially when used with clean tone, but it has its own thing going.

I recommend them.

ari

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

How big is the GD20 in comparison to the EB jr for instance?

IMO these have got to be the best bang for the buck out there judging by specs and the reviews I've read. No love found on TGP. I ususally just get ignored when I mention this pedal in other threads and then 50 people recommend the EB, Boss or Goodrich pedals none of which seem to offer the complete package of no tone suck, no pot to wear out, nice volume taper, and good pedal throw in a <$140 pedal.

Am I missing something here or does this pedal seem to be a no brainer?

8. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

You're right on, man. My GD "The Tube" is a combo tube overdrive/volume pedal. I love it. No tone suck, good od, great tone stack, a keeper. Wish it were a little tiny bit smaller.

9. fatcat

fatcat Senior Member

George D. didn't use the magic word " boutique "
    I used the pedal last night for the first time and it did what it was expected to do. Nice volume pedal. I gave the morley i had a nice hard throw in the trash can!!:BEER

10. jamison162

So, Maple Neck...have you decided to try the GD20?

FATCAT, are you sure on these dimensions for the GD20?

GD20: 7 7/8" L x 3 7/8" W = 30.52 sq.in.
    EB Jr.: 10" L x 3.5" W = 35 sq. in.

So looks like the GD20 actually takes up less area than the EB Jr? Now I'm very interested....

11. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Right after I sell some stuff...

12. Jerich

Jerich Member

i have had one for a few months now ..wow i cannot belive how good it is i went from a EB 6601. The dennis is much smother on the linear side..and i also have a Gd chorus that I really like too.:munch

13. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Just got a GD20 Mono Volume Pedal. I can confirm what other people say... there is no high frequency loss like you have with the passive Ernie Balls! I know, I just sold my Ernie VP Jr. And the swell effects are way better. I can now do the Rush Xanadu intro perfectly (though I think they did theirs with studio techniques). Also the intro on Jeff Beck's We've Ended as Lovers.

But here's what else I noticed. I placed this thing in a tru bypass FX looper. When I turn on the loop there is a noticeable reduction in volume. And I'm doing this with the pedal at fully pressed down. Granted it is volume loss with a flat frequency response, but a reduction nevertheless. It is not subtle. For users who don't use the pedal on an Fx loop, you won't notice it cause the highs are not being lost. But inside a switchable Fx loop, you'll know.

Mine came from Musicians Friend and did not come with instructions (it is also made in Czech Republic). Does anyone have instructions manual with this pedal? And does George Dennis have a website? Doesn't seem to yield any with Google.

14. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Hello..I got one today from Music123 and I noticed the same thing!No instructions.Im using it in the front end of Clark Tweed and it doesnt roll off the highs, but seems to be mabe 1 db in volume and a little bass.Im going to use it in a true bypass Loopmaster, and use it as an effect, so I will keep it since it has 0 noise and a nice smooth travel.I may emai them to see if theres anything one can do_Overall though, I dig it, compared to the new Boss and EB stuff.

15. jamison162

Why can't anyone get it right when it comes to volume pedals. Minus 1dB? Not gonna work for me, hmmm. Let us know what yall find out. Have you looked inside for any trim pots yet? I may end up with the Low Z Ernie Ball Jr after all.

16. Slotunes

Slotunes Supporting Member

Its put together like the Demeter Trem[folded steel look w/ 4 screws]I dont want to mess with it.I will say, that its better than the Boss I just sent back, but does lose a little bottom fullness and the volume drop.Im thinkin if Ill return it and buy a Goodrich..Im gettin tired of what should be a simple pedal to make..or maybe just do it the old fashioned way with the volume knob!

17. Alter

Alter Member

18. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

I had the GD 10 stereo version. I found that while it works well, there is high freq tone loss, but not as you reduce the volume, it's there all the time. So if you like how it sounds wide open, it will stay that way, but bypassed the tone will be brighter. It is solid and smooth, Hi impedence I think, supposedly you can switch impedence, but nobody at GD could tell me how to do it.

I wound up with a Goodrich LDR, it sounds best but is also not perfect.

gb

19. Ascension

Ascension Member

I havent tried the volumes but I have the Optical GD 30 Wahs on both my pedal boards. They sound GREAT I love the sweep and they both so far ( after 5 years of use!!) are bullitproof reliable!!

20. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

I had a George Dennis Wah on a practice pedal board for a while (until I decided I really didn't need a designated "practice" pedalboard). I thought it was really a pretty good wah for the money.