George Harrison '74 U.S. Tour

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bluesful, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I was listening to George Harrison's Dark Horse record from '74 today and it got me thinking.

Is there anybody here who was at a show on his '74 U.S. tour? I'm a massive George Harrison fan and I'd love to hear any experiences from anyone who was at a show on that tour.

The problems with his throat are well documented but that band must have been smokin', including a young 23 year old Robben Ford. Billy Preston also would have brought a lot to that band and a slightly funkier flavour.

So anyway was anyone there? Over to you.

2. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

'74 was pre-concert days for me.
    I do have a boot of a show somewhere and I remember being really disappointed when I listened to it.
    I'll see if I can't find that recording. I know it's here someplace.

3. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

I was there at his Madison Square Garden show... Not much to say besides transcendent and it remains one of the highlights of my concert experiences. His voice was a bit rough but the interaction on stage and the enthusiasm of the band carried the night. I remember George, Billy Preston and Robben Ford doing their best Rockettes impersonation at one point.

4. Carlo

Carlo Member

I saw him at Madison Square Garden for the afternoon show. The critics were harsh with him, but I thought he sounded terrific.
    He had Rocky his Strat, three other Strats and Lucy his Les Paul. Wore plaid pants (Hey, it was '74!), a white shirt, and his hair was perfect!
    The band was tight - one thing that was magical to me was While My Guitar Gently Weeps - it was an extended jam - it seemed like 20 minutes or so - to be able to see George play extended solos was deeply spiritual for me. He was playing Lucy and his licks were sublime - in what he played and what he didn't play. He is so underrated as a player. While I'm typing this, I can still see it in my mind, just can't convey how moving his playing was.
    Another thing that I liked was him playing In My Life which was a surprise.
    During the encore, I went right up to the front of the stage - he was doing My Sweet Lord and talking about no matter what name you have for God , it is all the same God.
    As I was at the front of the stage, we made eye contact and there was a depth of soul in his gaze, very deep.
    Funny enough, Paul McCartney was in the crowd, wearing an afro and beard not to be recognized!

5. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Funny this thread popped up as The Beatles will always be my favorite band by a mile. But I go through phases of only listening to Paul- John and George and have been on a two month binge of everything George. I just watched the other night the Scorsese's documentary again -Living in the Material World-, which focused a good part on this tour and it is amazing how Harrison even finished it as his throat was shredded but he carried on like a true pro.If anything get a copy of the Concert for Bangladesh as George is in much better form.

6. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful experience!

7. Carlo

Carlo Member

Chops, it was truly a fantastic time. I still have the program and T shirt from that show. Just thinking of it puts a smile on my face.

8. Carlo

Carlo Member

Buck, if I could go back, I would just stay right there!

9. Bluesful

Wow. Great thoughts, thanks so much for sharing.

I hadn't heard that one about McCartney before.

10. Bluesful

On that documentary there's actually pro-shoot footage of one of the shows. When I saw the documentary a few years back that was the first pro footage of the tour I had ever seen. So you'd assume there is a decent amount of footage somewhere. I would love them to release it, but there's obviously something holding that back. I wonder if it's the voice issues? I wouldn't care if his voice was a bit hoarse I'd kill for a whole concert to be released on DVD.

11. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

I was at two of the West Coast shows - Long Beach and The Forum. My starkest memories are of the very chilly receptions the Indian musicians (who were BRILLIANT) received, George's (my favorite Beatle; we share a last name) croaky voice and seeming somewhat uncomfortable as a front man, and the killer band - Robben Ford, Billy Preston, Tom Scott, Willie Weeks, Andy Newmark, and the Hollywood Horns (Jim Horn & Chuck Findlay).

12. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I think a big criticism of the tour was that George allegedly changed a lot of lyrics to fit in with his spiritual beliefs. I have read that the shows were panned for being "preachy".

13. Robertito

Robertito Member

I saw/heard him in Detroit on that tour, and it was very disappointing - his voice was so shot he had Billy Preston sing several of the songs, he changed the lyrics to "While My Guitar Gently Smiles," which I thought made no sense, and he seemed like he didn't want to be there. His guitar playing was sparse. It was a pretty short set, too.

The band was great, and Robben Ford was really on that night.

14. hellbender

hellbender Member

I saw him that year in a limo speeding up Boulder Canyon to Caribou Ranch. Dam near ran me off the road

15. johnhenry

johnhenry Supporting Member

it was a long time ago but i do recall during a surprising cover of In My Life he changed the final line to '…In my life, I love God more.' i also believe Billy Preston did That's The Way God Planned It although i wouldn't say any of these would qualify as being too 'preachy'.

16. Peppy

Peppy Member

I saw the show aqui en Norté de Mexico...I mean Tucson. I have no real memory of the show. (I was neither on drugs nor drinking.) It was obviously non-descript, except that it was by an ex-Beatle, only a few years removed from such.

17. The NightHawk

The NightHawk Member

Took my gf, now wife of 34 years to see George's show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia in 74. Don't remember anything standing out, but as a huge fan I was just glad to be there. Unfortunately, during the Indian musicians' segment of the show, half of the audience got up and took an intermission.

18. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

Unfortunately I never saw George live but the Live in Japan album is an excellent performance.

19. Bluesful

I think he took a lot of heat specifically to his 'interpretation' of In My Life.

20. Bluesful

Perhaps this was just down to Western audiences not really understanding what the Indian thing was about? Shame though as Ravi was a monster player. I would have loved to see him play in his prime.

If you recall at the Concert for Bangladesh Ravi and his players spent a few minutes tuning up before setting off into their first piece. After they finished tuning the audience started clapping as if that was the end of the first song. Ravi then politely indicated (in a humorous way) that they were just tuning up and if they enjoyed the tuning so much they'll hopefully enjoy the music even more.