George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" double LP

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Took my dog on a long hike in the woods yesterday and listened to George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. I'm not sure if I ever listened to it "first song to last" before. The current version, remastered in 2014 (I think), includes the original tunes plus five bonus tracks, including a cool acoustic demo version of Beware of Darkness, a wonderful and still highly relevant song.

When I was a kid he became my favorite Beatle as a result of the strength of his songs, his "look", and the fact that I shy away from favoring things that most people favor (here McCartney and Lennon). It reinforced that he's still my favorite.

Here are a couple of random thoughts.

1. This is a GREAT album. If it was a Beatles LP it would be among the band's best, in my view.
2. It supports the view that Harrison was a strong guitarist (and generally very underrated). His slide work is melodic and very pleasing to the ear. Another attribute that came through on a few songs is his use of hard picking to bring dirt to a tone that's otherwise clean.
3. His vocals are both "sweet" and emotive.
4. There's a lot of production involved in many of the songs; many songs have lots of layers and counter melodies.
5. The album produced more "hits" than I realized.

sahhas

Supporting Member
Just saw a clip of 3 remaining Beatles, looks like late 80s, early 90s together: Ringo, Paul, George.. just goofing around, Paul is singing something and then George comes in and honestly he had a great voice, and he was a good singer... The talent in the Beatles is really off the charts....

Last edited:

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Gold Supporting Member
I bought it back in 98 and it is one of my favorite albums ever. I bought it on cd but want it on Vinyl just because. It has some of the best playing and writing ever by a post Beatle. He had all this back log of great stuff that he never got to bring to the band. I wish kinda that some of it would have been given love by John and Paul. I think their egos were a bit too fragile to see George as an equal but he damn sure was.

John Vasco

"The female dancer in George Harrison’s “What is Life” music video is Emma Rubinowitz a member of the San Francisco Ballet, and Esteban Hernandez. In 2014, George Harrison’s widow Olivia and son Dhani held a worldwide contest through A global video production platform to determine what filmmaker from anywhere would provide the video for Harrison’s 1971 song What is Life. The winner was Brandon Moore from the United States."

InkStained

"The female dancer in George Harrison’s “What is Life” music video is Emma Rubinowitz a member of the San Francisco Ballet, and Esteban Hernandez. In 2014, George Harrison’s widow Olivia and son Dhani held a worldwide contest through A global video production platform to determine what filmmaker from anywhere would provide the video for Harrison’s 1971 song What is Life. The winner was Brandon Moore from the United States."
That video is perfect for that song.

Trending Topics