• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

George Harrison's best slide playing... can you post some?

Bigsby

I read an interview with him in which they asked which was his favorite solo he'd done. He said it was this one. No joke.

metropolis74

This thread has been very educational for me. I didn't realize George had guest solos on so many other artists' songs. I want to dig deeper into more of his slide work now. Anybody know did he use standard or open tunings for slide?

5F6-A

This thread has been very educational for me. I didn't realize George had guest solos on so many other artists' songs. I want to dig deeper into more of his slide work now. Anybody know did he use standard or open tunings for slide?
I was wondering the same!!!

metropolis74

This thread reminds me I haven't heard this song in years.
And the story of how George came to play slide on this song for a little known band Rubyhorse. Story goes he was only paid union scale too.

5F6-A

This guy seems to think that George used open G often. That first string tuned down to D makes a lot of sense....

Alejandro

Silver Supporting Member
He used standard tuning, glass slide and I read sometime he used the MXR Dynacomp for his slide solos
He has been my favorite since the Beatles, and after of course

Last edited:

Alejandro

Silver Supporting Member
Good Lord that is good!

His intonation is perfect, his vibrato flawless, his note choices inspired.

Gobsmacked.
Oh yes, the melody of the intro, and solos were always are truly emotional to me. I always remember the firs time I heard this song, I really almost cry with the slide melodies wich suits perfect with the lyric or spirit of the song, so I dare to say is the best of Harrison, among all other fantastic slide work. IMHO

5F6-A

I think a lot of his phrasing and note choices comes from some old rockandroll and blues influences combined with a very tasteful use of Indian Gamakas used within Western harmonic context.

GenoVox

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry for the OT, but this is one of my favorite lines in A Hard Day's Night:

"You don't see many of these nowadays, do you?"
My favorite scene in the movie! That whole bit with the Producer and his assistants is awesome.

Neverwhere

Harrison's is the only slide playing I really enjoy, almost all the other stuff sounds so jarring and obnoxious to me.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
To me George was huge, love him and miss him so much
His skills on slide guitar that always captivated me. He plays lovely melodic lines
One of his best slides melodies, intro and solo

Looks like Lace pickups, bridge pickup?

Jp2558

Cloud Nine Live in Japan - great playing but I am always impressed at the end where you can see Eric standing in the shadows and then the lights go off at the end of the song. Just shows how much respect Eric had for his friend that he was willing to lead with his backing band and he playing a backup role too.

Cloud Nine

James Knox

Silver Supporting Member
Is there any Verified, documented, definitive answer to What tuning George used?

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom