George L cables -- not for me

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fretts, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Fretts

Fretts Member

Anybody else think that the George L cable system is fragile, flakey and craps out all the time?
    I don't like them, don't use them. I do it the hard way and cut my own custom length cables for my pedals boards and use Switchcraft nickel plated ends, usually the flat ones that look like a quarter. It takes ages, and it's a pain, but I do not have cable issues on my pedal boards.

2. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I recently started using the Bill Lawrence solderless cable with his short plugs for my pedalboard. They're not right angle plugs, and they -barely- take up any more space than a GL's right angle plug. The benefit of course is that the Lawrence plug doesn't have that screw-cap that seems to be the cause of a lot of these problems I've heard about (apparently solved by Lock-Tite though). All you have to do is cut the cable cleanly, push it in the plug, and screw a set-screw into the side 'till the set screw is flush with the outer casing of the plug.

I have recently been aggressively re-organizing and A/B ing several overdrive pedals... not so gently yanking on those Lawrence cables, squashing them right up against other pedals, having them a little too short so there's a little too much tension on them... stuff like that as I re-arrange the board. For a while, I kept expecting that, "Ah, this is the move that's going to finally short the cable", or "There's no way that cable survived that yank"... you know, like when the plug is really really snug in the input or output of a pedal... and you can't pull it out... so you yank on the cable and end up ripping the pedal off the board with the cable still plugged into it? ANYway...

No failures so far, and extremely pleased with the ease of use, sturdiness, and simple design. Can't recommend them highly enough. I DID buy the Planet Waves cable cutter/tester, and that certainly helps too.

-Ben

3. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

I read this all the time that folks have issues with George L's crapping out and the like. I've used L's for a few years now, and have never had any reliability issues.

As far as sound, L's have no equal. I've tried the more expensive cables (Two-Rock, Analysis Plus) and none have been better for me.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Well, the Lawrence cable is basically the same as the L's, and the plugs are solid machined brass with nickel plating, so I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be the 'equal' in your tonal taste to the L's. Not to mention that Bill invented the solderless system.

Doesn't Chrissy need to chime in here with the review of the Evidence Lyric cable? ;)

-Ben

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't doubt you...I just wondered. How much of a difference is it? I mean, if I snuck up during a break at your gig, changed the cables for some generic cables, and you didn't notice and started playing, would you notice the difference in sound?

I am assuming you mean "none have been better" and all that you mean both reliability-wise and soundwise?

6. Frostbite Slim

Frostbite Slim Member

The first thing I noticed the first time I tried L's was the immediate improvement in clarity. I'm sure I could tell if someone "switched" cables on me.

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've never had any Issues with my George L cables provided you do make them properly, Right angles can be a little harder to get right but they do work.

One thing I always do when I make any cable is to check them with an ohm meter to make sure the continuity is there because there are times when the center conductor doesnt seat properly and you can read several ohms from end to end.

8. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I have been using George L's for about a year
    and am also quite happy with my sonic improvement.
    I have yet to have one fail on me (although I do try to
    grab the cable by the plug if and when I unplug my pedals).
    I would guess the "Bill L's" ;) would be another good choice.
    I just think saying that George L's are "fragile, flaky, and crap
    out all the time" is a bit harsh. Maybe you just didn't put them
    together correctly???

9. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I use Geo L's and haven't had much trouble. Once I had a screw come loose and it lost connection but that was a long time ago.

I think the most bullet proof set up would be Geo L cable with Switchcraft or Nutrick ends solidered on.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

So it is actually the cables themselves that are the main improvement over other cables?

I haven't seen one, I heard they are two conductor (without shield?) but wondered what kind of wire?

Also, is their thinness any problem ?

11. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

In my opinion yes.

They are unbalanced.

The size is due to little insulation. Geo L does offer a "thicker" version, more insulation but same wire inside.

12. oxtone

oxtone Member

I had trouble with George L's until "Laurie L" showed me how to make them at the NAMM Show. You need to use a razor edge to cut the cable, NOT a Wire cutter, which will pinch the cable.

That said, the best sounding cable I use is an Evidence Audio Cable. Tony makes great cables with Nutrick ends. :)

13. ABKB

ABKB Member

Been using GL's for about a year and a half now. Have had a grand total of one flake out on me, and I noticed the improved clarity immediatly. That said another guy here I have talked to about this (JeffHef) has had nothing but trouble with his. I use a planet waves cable cutter/checker with mine, dont know if that's the issue or not. But I have been very happy with mine.

14. lv

lv Supporting Member

If your GL's are "crapping out all the time" you aren't making them correctly. Use a razor and turn the set screw 1.5 times after it has made contact with the cable. I've been using the same one for years, never had a problem.

15. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I use the George L cable on my pedal board but I solder the cable to switchcraft ends. I trust a soldered connection much more than a pinched/pierced one....

16. trisonic

trisonic Member

I don't like L's because they seem to tie into knots even if you just look at them.
    I don't need a hifi cable seemingly - give me a sixties English curly cable but with good jacks etc.

Best, Pete.

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

18. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Been using GL's for about 2 years. I made them very carefully and basically had no problems with 'em. I also have Bill Lawrence cable, which is soncially similar to GL (I am aware that Bill started this solderless thing!). BL cable is a pain as it tangles all the time, GL less so.

But.... I like the idea of soldered terminals. I'd imagine that the conductivity has to be better as well as the reliability.

So, based on recommendations here, I bought a 10'er from bayoucables just to check it out. I expect to hear a warmer tone than the GL's per owner's reports and I'll no doubt find excellent build quality.

Ultimately, I may want to solder G&H connectors on my GL/BL cable, or I might just go 100% Canare/G&H from Butch. Time will tell.

19. trisonic

trisonic Member

Already tried that, Lou!
    Problem with that one is that the cord itself is too heavy (weightwise). Not too bad though.

Best, Pete.

20. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I've only used them for stationary type installs. i.e. mounted pedalboard pedals, where there is little or no cable movement. They've been great. They suck as actuall guitar cables, since they aren't strong enough for movement. They do sound fuller and clearer to me.