George L's Cables worth it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stjimmy1990, Feb 19, 2012.

1. stjimmy1990

stjimmy1990 Member

So I've been having shorts an such with my current patch cables. I want to fix my problems for good. And thought to invest in some of these. But they are very expensive. I was just wondering do they really do what they claim to? Eliminate noise, provide the highest audio quality ect. If so then I'll probably go for it.

2. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Look into the Lava Mini ELC solderless kit for richer, more balanced tone and superior reliability. Also, the plugs are smaller. Not to mention the customer service... Top notch.

3. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Yes, GLs are totally worth it. Excellent sound quality and, if you assemble them correctly, will last a lifetime.

4. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

5. A.Squirrel

A.Squirrel Member

Just re-wired my board with Evidence Audio Monorail cables with left over George L ends, far better quality as far as build goes. Tone is a lot clearer, eq is real even, seems to react really fast when you play too. Big improvement overall! Might check those out also man!

6. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I like EA monorails and lava mini-ELCs a lot better than my old GLs.

7. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

George L's are great! If you know how to assemble them correctly, they last long. Sound quality is way better than anything else I've tried (evidence audio, lava, dimarzio, fender, bullet...)

8. Humancapo

Humancapo Member

+1 on George L's, they're reliable, sonically superior and their customer service is one of the best in the industry. I've used them for decades and millions of road miles with never an issue.

9. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

I was skeptical at first but after I tried them ain't going back to standard cables.

10. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

i resisted the hype for a loooOOOoong time. i decided to pull the trigger about a year ago, mainly to make my board a little neater. i had tons of standard right angle cables all over the place. i bought a set, enough to do about half of my board. i was so impressed with simplicity that i bought another set the next weekend to cover the whole board. as if the convenience of making solderless any length i want cables wasn't enough, i immediately noticed a difference. there were more highs and clarity to my tone. it wasn't that it added anything to my tone, but it prevented the loss of highs and clarity. i had to readjust all of my pedals and my amp's settings. they truly are amazing cables.

so...i too was reluctant and hesitant. but i am now a believer. pull the trigger. you won't be dissatisfied.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

In a word hellyes!!!

I know a lot of guys claim to have issues with them but if you put them together correctly they will last for ages and repairs are easy as pie!

12. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

they are not as good as lava or bullet cable slugs

13. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

george Ls are awesome cables. i don't think they're inferior to lava at all. i use both.

14. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

I definitely think its worth it to get GL's, I've never tried Lava though...
    I'm not quite sure why a lot of people think Lava is better.

15. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I have some George L's that are pushing 15 years old and still work fine. I solder Switchcraft jacks on the ends and re-do them every couple of years. I recently bought some Lavas - good stuff as well, wouldn't say there's a better or worse.

16. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

One more vote for GL. Have never had one fail that worked when I put it on my board. I think Bill Lawrence and Lava are good, similar, options, but I've never had a reason to switch. Going in three years, and, yeah, the ease and convenience are only exceeded by the tone improvement they offer. It's trite, I know, but GL solder free kits completely restored my tone loss, the proverbial blanket off the amp scenario.

17. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

To each his own. One man's "clarity" is another man's "brightness." For me, GLs were definitely the latter. I found them a bit strident...

18. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

+1 for Lava Mini ELC. Had too many issues with GL's.

19. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Like?

20. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

My George L's are great. I started using them last year, and have since gigged with them a couple times, with no issues. It took a couple tries to get them made right, but its actually very easy.

I bought a few at a time to decide if I really liked them. A few months later, my board was all George L's. I still like them.