George L's ends...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Jun 29, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

nickel plated or brass unplated

Anybody prefer one over the other?

Why?

2. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

Doesn't really answer your question, but I solder Switchcraft or Neutrik plugs onto my George L's. The George L's ends work loose over time and the connection goes bad.

3. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thats funny...I tried a week or so ago to solder onto George L's cable and had NO luck...what a pain in the neck! If you can make it work more power to ya, but I sure wasn't able to!

4. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I like the brass ones and red cable. I like the red cable because of the low capacitance & low loss. I like the brass ends mainly for aesthetics. I have only had the connection go bad on me once. It happened on my board, had one cable that protruded over the side & got worked loose. (Pedaltrain) A minute later, I'm back up just as good as new. That was the reason I bought these things for my pedalboard, they're so easy to hook up or reroute anytime.

The one thing I don't like about the 20' cables I use is that they tend to tangle on themselves more than others do. I like cloth jacket cables best to minimize the tangle. That said, in the last 3 years I've had 2 cloth cables go bad, but never had a problem with any of my George Ls. The cloth cables see use only at home, and are plugged into my PC rig all the time. Both ends developed shorts. The George Ls are used for my rig in studio & stage & no problems yet in almost 5 years since I switched back to them. YMMV of course, but George Ls been berry berry good to me.

5. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

unplated brass for me.

I had the nickle ends years ago, and noticed after about a year the plating was flaking off the plugs into the pedals.

I burnish the plugs once a month on the brass ones with steel wool and no problems in over 3 years of weekly practices & gigs. And about 400 rearrangements of my board. :)

Plus I find the brass easier to assemble. I think the plating on the screw threads makes the chrome ones harder to get tight.

6. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i like the chrome, but thats just me. the cable doesn't make a difference, there isn't lower anything on teh different colors, they are just different colors. fave color scheme is the red cable with black jackets, looks sweet. I never have probs with them, but have used my scraps for pedal projects, and they do solder, just not real easily.

7. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I had brass and red. They looked really nice in the garbage can when they kept shorting out..........