• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

George L's vs. Lava ELC

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
I've been thinking about switching the cables in my pedal board from George L's to the Lava ELC cables. Any opinions?

My main reason is that the Lava solderless ends are much smaller, and the little space here and there saved will allow me to get my board exactly how I want it.

I've used George L's b/c they seem to add a little more high end. I typically use between 8-11 pedals on my board.

Opinions???

cbpickin

Tweed Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I made the switch and, tonally, I'm very happy. The ELC is more neutral sounding and fuller to my ears. It is also a more stable connection. I have yet to have any problems with them when changing pedals around on my board.

never-enough

i agree. the solderless connection seems much improved to me.
the smaller sized connectors were a big selling point for me as well with the lavas,
however be advised that the cable itself is much larger compared to the george Ls.
the lava does sound fuller to me as well, and i dont notice it being darker, just more balanced.

I recently bought the "Super Kit" Mixed to replace my George L's. This decision was based on good reviews and a better looking connection. I like the idea of thicker wire. I'll be cutting and hooking everything up this weekend, so a review may be forthcoming.

JCHollis

having used both, i find the george l's much more reliable than the solderless ELCs if you can believe that. tonally, i honestly did not see much difference.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I changed from GL's solderless to Lava ELC but with soldered plugs.
I thought that the Lava cables smoothed out the high end for me.

lv

Silver Supporting Member
It sounds like you want a brighter tone, if that is the case the elc is definitely not as bright as the gls.

thetangmang

I like high end sparkle so I personally prefer GL's for all patch cables and the Guitar--> pedalboard cable.

ducmike

Gold Supporting Member
The ELC has all the top end of the GLs, it just doesn't cut off the bottom end, so you get a more balanced tone. I like the smaller ELC connectors better.

As far as reliability, a little bit of blue loc-tite on either connector helps.

Bloomfield fan

Silver Supporting Member
I have had the Lava ELC for my pedal board for about a year. I could not be happier. I also switched to Lava ELC for both instrument cables. The clarity and consistent sound are inspiring and make my rig sound better. I am also very happy with the quality. The ELC are easy to assemble for you board.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the reviews. May buy enough to do my pedal board and see what I think. Thanks everyone!

tonefreak

I know the allure of solderless ends... but take it from someone who switched to soldered... it is so worth the time to solder those ends.

ELC is my cable of choice w/ soldered ends. I even made my instrument cable with the stuff.

never-enough

with the george Ls i soldered the ends because i had a very high failure rate with the solderless connection.
after reviewing the size and construction differences of the lava elc i decided to give it a try and so far they have worked great.
of course time will tell if the solderless connection really holds up for me.

zorzi

If done right, the george l's are very reliable, and I love the tone. I might have to try some of the lava to see what the fuss is about but the Goerge L has been great for me

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
Also check out the Evidence Audio Monorail cable. It's much better sounding than the George L to my ears and you can use it with George L solderless connectors.

tonefreak

Also check out the Evidence Audio Monorail cable. It's much better sounding than the George L to my ears and you can use it with George L solderless connectors.
Another great cable for solderless G'Ls. It takes a little more time, but sounded better to my ears... Evidence makes great stuff!

Trending Topics